Can I flat tow my wrangler with different gear ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Can I flat tow my wrangler with different gear ratio

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Kmariano

Can I flat tow my wrangler with different gear ratio

I just bought my 1994 jeep wrangler. The previous owner changed the rear axle to a Dana 44 and didn't change the front gear ratio on the stock Dana 30. My question is if it's ok to flat tow my jeep like this until I get the money to fix it right.

Kmariano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Indy

Pull the front driveshaft and its not an issue. Never flat towed my old yj so don't know the particulars to it. Never pulled a shaft either so take that idea as just an idea.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your post is confusing. Are you saying that the front and rear doffs have different gear ratios? That means you can't drive in 4wd. You know that, right?

Has no effect on flat towing though. Just put the transfer case in neutral.
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Kmariano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Your post is confusing. Are you saying that the front and rear doffs have different gear ratios? That means you can't drive in 4wd. You know that, right?

Has no effect on flat towing though. Just put the transfer case in neutral.
Yes, the front and rear diffs have diff gear ratios and I know that I can't drive in 4wd. I just want to make sure that I can flat tow it and drive it around town while I'm camping without any problems as long as I'm not in 4wd. Thanks for the replies.
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
jake89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the YJ front shaft only spins when engaged into 4wd so all you really need to do is put the jeep into neutral ive flat towed my old YJ all the time (broken ) of coarse lol you will be fine.
jake89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake89yj View Post
the YJ front shaft only spins when engaged into 4wd so all you really need to do is put the jeep into neutral ive flat towed my old YJ all the time (broken ) of coarse lol you will be fine.
That is not always true.

On most YJs (not sure if there is a cut off year) When the transfer case is in neutral the drive line is disenganged from the engine power BUT the front and rear are connected and will both turn together. This becomes a huge problem when trying to flat tow while having an aussie or other lunchbox locker in the front.

Check this thread for my issue, the explaination and the cause start in post #12.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...roblem-595457/
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Kmariano

I don't have a locker on the front or the rear so will it cause a problem flat towing with different ratio? And what gear do i tow the jeep in or do I keep it in nuteral?
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Chances are you will not have any issues.

The instructions in the manual say to put the tcase in neutral and the transmission in park or 1st.

Personally I would disconnect both drive shafts from the axle end and strap them up out of the way. It will only take a couple minutes and remove any chance of problems. I did that every time I towed up until getting a tru neutral plate installed.

You can get one of these transmissioon stop off plugs from Harbor Freight for the rear unless you have an SYE installed.

Don't forget to unlock the steering wheel.
transstop.jpg  
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Now that is pretty darn interesting that the NP231 connects the driveshafts but not the transmission when in neutral. Just when I think there is nothing left to learn.

But, I think there will be a problem for the OP if the ratios are different. When the np231 joins front and rear, they are not spinning independently like axles on a diff. They are actually connected as though it was in 4wd if I read your references correctly. So to my thinking he has to put it in 2wd and the tranny in neutral assuming it is not an automatic which will burn up from no fluid pumping.
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Kmariano

So if I disconnect both drive shafts and strap them out of the way do I still need to put the transfer case in N and the trans in 1st to tow it? Thanks guys for all the help.
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
ajmorell

No if you pull the drive shafts you can do whatever you want with the transfer case and transmission
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
Kmariano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Chances are you will not have any issues.

The instructions in the manual say to put the tcase in neutral and the transmission in park or 1st.

Personally I would disconnect both drive shafts from the axle end and strap them up out of the way. It will only take a couple minutes and remove any chance of problems. I did that every time I towed up until getting a tru neutral plate installed.

You can get one of these transmissioon stop off plugs from Harbor Freight for the rear unless you have an SYE installed.

Don't forget to unlock the steering wheel.

So if I get a tru neutral plat installed I don't need to put the tranny in gear or i wouldnt have to worry about disconnecting the drive shafts?
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmariano View Post
So if I get a tru neutral plat installed I don't need to put the tranny in gear or i wouldnt have to worry about disconnecting the drive shafts?
With the new plate you put the t-case in neutral and the transmission in gear, or Park.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.