Camping Trailer Build -- sketch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Camping Trailer Build -- sketch

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Camping Trailer Build -- sketch

I'd love to hit the Lotto and buy a nice trailer but, for now, I can't afford a purpose-built commercial rig....

So I've been sketching and sketching for months. The most recent idea that I've come up with is a very simple plan:
two aluminum tool boxes (2' deep, 2' high, 3' wide) placed back to back on a ladder frame, opening fore and aft. Attached to the sides I'd hang two more boxes, 10"x10"x3' --- they'd act as part of the fender. Weld it all up, put it on a 3500-lb axle, match the wheels to my JK Wrangler. Add a basket on the tongue for jerry cans and cooler.
I'd still use my Columbia ground tent for now and add a RTT later as budget permits and convert one of the side boxes into a galley.

Here's my rookie sketch; looking for advice and sympathy.
I just spoke with a fabricator and they could build it in two weeks for $2200, including non-matching 32" wheels/tires. I'm trying to track down some take-off Sahara wheels...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.