Camping Trailer Build -- sketch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Camping Trailer Build -- sketch

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Camping Trailer Build -- sketch

I'd love to hit the Lotto and buy a nice trailer but, for now, I can't afford a purpose-built commercial rig....

So I've been sketching and sketching for months. The most recent idea that I've come up with is a very simple plan:
two aluminum tool boxes (2' deep, 2' high, 3' wide) placed back to back on a ladder frame, opening fore and aft. Attached to the sides I'd hang two more boxes, 10"x10"x3' --- they'd act as part of the fender. Weld it all up, put it on a 3500-lb axle, match the wheels to my JK Wrangler. Add a basket on the tongue for jerry cans and cooler.
I'd still use my Columbia ground tent for now and add a RTT later as budget permits and convert one of the side boxes into a galley.

Here's my rookie sketch; looking for advice and sympathy.
I just spoke with a fabricator and they could build it in two weeks for $2200, including non-matching 32" wheels/tires. I'm trying to track down some take-off Sahara wheels...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.