camper towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > camper towing

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

camper towing

So here's what I have, a 2000 Sahara 4.0 5sp mostly stock. I want to tow a small 14' single axle camper rated 2500# with 200# tongue wght. The camper has electric brakes, I just need to install a controller. I have a bumper with 2" receiver equal to class III. Is this a safe, drivable setup?

OsteKuste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

No, you are at least 500 lbs. heavy per the factory specs
djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
chainz
1976 CJ5 

If you are not going far and go slow I think you would be okay. The problem does not come from the engine or transmission in your case but rather the stopping ability which you have covered with electric brakes. The only thing I would be worried about is the tail wagging the dog I.E the trailer telling the Jeep what to do I have never towed with a Jeep but I think a problem for towing is it's short wheelbase. If I were doing it I would just try to keep off of main highways and keep my speed real slow.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
curt7088
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Towing with a jeep isnt that bad as long as the trailer tracks behind the jeep i actually just sold my trailer but i had a 14 ft trailer single axle and have loaded it down pretty heavily (two fourwheelers and two bikes with various gear n such never weighed it though and had four ppl n it trailer said it was #600 with my 99 artic cat 4x4 my buddies sportsman 500 and two bikes a 125 and a 400 or something ( custom paintjob all black he pieced it all together) but i figure it was pretty heavy and had no troubles with it not even stopping it was prolly close in weight. Just make sure it towes true
lol iam stealth like a 900 pound cat ha ha
curt7088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
chris_ce
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would do it and wouldn't think twice about it especially since the trailer has brakes.
chris_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Md_06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd consider it if I had a stock set up too. Keep in mind, of course, that the dry weight doesn't include the weight of the battery or propane, along with any gear you put inside the trailer, or any gear/passengers in the Jeep itself.

The class III hitch is rated at 500/5000 so you are good there.

I did use a prodigy brake controller towing a 17' 3500lb camper. The controller worked great, it applied the trailer brakes a split second before the LJ's brakes, thus the camper did most of the stopping. I did have one issue with the controller, however, in that it had an adjustment wheel that would occasionally vibrate to a higher setting and that caused my right front caliper to press against the pads when I was cruising at highway speeds.

I also recommend a weight distribution hitch (I use a Reese). It spreads the weight evenly across all three axles, and that made a BIG difference.
66 M416
Md_06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
chris_ce
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I second the prodigy brake controller. You won't find a better or easier to operate controller. I have had three of them on different trucks and won't even consider anything else.
chris_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsteKuste View Post
So here's what I have, a 2000 Sahara 4.0 5sp mostly stock. I want to tow a small 14' single axle camper rated 2500# with 200# tongue wght. The camper has electric brakes, I just need to install a controller. I have a bumper with 2" receiver equal to class III. Is this a safe, drivable setup?
I towed a 12 foot cargo trailer weighing about 3500 lbs about 1600 miles with my TJ. For me the biggest was not braking but control. It wanted to drift everywhere. Not sure of my tongue weight. I may have loaded too much in the front of the trailer.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Update on my camper setup; it's only 2000 lbs and I also got one of those anti-sway bars (not sure of the proper name) that equalizes the load a bit. It mounts between the tow vehicle and the camper. I think this will be as good as I can get with this rig.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
itsonlyatruck
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With my 4cly YJ Ive towed 2200lb about 100 miles round trip and have no problems other then braking. It wast to bad but the trailer had no brakes so had to do some downshifting but all was fine. Also the was on a class 2 hitch. The jeeps has 33s and 4.10 gears had to keep it in 4th but I don't even have 5th so it didn't matter lol. And was only of roads up to 55mph but ya I didnt have any problems. And you should be fine too
itsonlyatruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone for the advice, towing with a Jeep will be a first for me. The only thing I have towed so far with it is a small utility trailer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.