Building an off-road trailer from scratch - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Building an off-road trailer from scratch

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #91
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tdog is MIA, there was talk of a ban. I don't know.

0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #92
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hopefully texasdog will be back for more updates
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #93
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I will tell you all, he has really motivated my wife and I to build our own, similar to his with a few additions, such as an ice chest mount, two metal hinged trays welded to the back to drop down as cooking platforms, and a space for loading firewood on. I am working right now in Autodesk Inventor to design it out before we start building it this winter. I agree with him that if everything is ready to go, then we would go camping a whole lot more too. We can't wait to get started.
mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #94
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So one question here. Has anyone here who have built their own trailer gotten it licensed? I have been talking to the department of safety here in TN and I need to take it to the trailer inspection office first before getting a VIN for it. Then I can apply for a title and a license plate. The reason we want to license it is so that we can go out of state for camping, such as LBL. I was also wondering if there is a guide anywhere as to the inspection requirements?
Unread 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #95
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here we go to the State Police Dept. They assign the VIN#
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #96
RedJeepClub
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I built an offroad trailer, and now I'm doing a second trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmeister View Post
I will tell you all, he has really motivated my wife and I to build our own, similar to his with a few additions, such as an ice chest mount, two metal hinged trays welded to the back to drop down as cooking platforms, and a space for loading firewood on. I am working right now in Autodesk Inventor to design it out before we start building it this winter. I agree with him that if everything is ready to go, then we would go camping a whole lot more too. We can't wait to get started.
I have just read through most of all of these posts with great amazement. This trailer project is way bigger than either of the trailers I built or am building.

If you have a few minutes I have details and other things to consider in this write up. My Offroad Jeeping Trailer Build

I went smaller and taller and more of a big box to pull versus all the extra compartments and locking boxes in this build.

[URL="http://www.RedJeepClub.com"]
The Red Jeep Club[/URL]

[URL="http://www.wasatchOutlawwheelers.com"]Wasatch OutLaw Wheelers[/URL]
RedJeepClub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #97
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am starting on this. Do you all think that 2"x2"x0.12" square steel tubing is sufficient for the trailer? I was considering 2"x2"x3/16" square tubing but one guy told me he thought 3/16" was overkill.
Unread 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #98
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

I used 2x3
0lllllll0
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #99
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what thickness?
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #100
RedJeepClub
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used 2x2 .120 and 2x2 .060 Square tube.

Quote:
I am starting on this. Do you all think that 2"x2"x0.12" square steel tubing is sufficient for the trailer? I was considering 2"x2"x3/16" square tubing but one guy told me he thought 3/16" was overkill.
I just looked at my notes I used 2x2 x .120 wall for the base frame. For the inner suports on the base and the side I used 2x2 .060. The trailer is very strong, but I don't plan to have it haul more than 1000 lbs.

This is ok picture of my Trailer hooked up and loaded down for 3 days on the Rubicon.

Most pictures here:

Off Road Jeep Trailer First Test on the Rubicon

Hope this helps.
Ian

The Red Jeep Club[/URL]

Unread 10-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #101
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

.120 i'm pretty sure

its about this thick: ][
0lllllll0
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #102
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think that I have decided that I will use 2x2x3/16 for the base frame and 2x2x0.12 for the rest of it. I want a strong base that could potentially carry 1500+ pounds. As soon as I finish getting it designed in sketchup pro, I will upload the preview here.
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #103
RedJeepClub
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a good website for info about tongue strength of a trailer.

Quote:
I think that I have decided that I will use 2x2x3/16 for the base frame and 2x2x0.12 for the rest of it. I want a strong base that could potentially carry 1500+ pounds. As soon as I finish getting it designed in sketchup pro, I will upload the preview here.
I wanted to mention a site I found from the Australian government about building trailers. It confirms the size and style on tongue I am using on my 4x4 trailer strong enough. I have tested my trailer fully loaded and did not have any issues, it's just kinda nice to see a technical write up from the mechanical engineering perspective.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...rop/tear84.htm

I might be a little late adding to this thread so I Hope this helps.
Ian

The Red Jeep Club[/URL]

Unread 11-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #104
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that link. That is awesome info for me. I have not gotten the steel yet as I am still designing it in sketchup Pro. Thanks again!
Unread 11-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #105
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Since this is TD's thread, I'm going to have to lock it to cut down on the chit-chat. I'll leave it stickied for a while so that people can see what he did on his build though.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.