Building an off-road trailer from scratch - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Building an off-road trailer from scratch

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #76
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelentime View Post
can't wait to see the finished product...
Me too! I'm tired of working on this thing (:

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #77
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The single tube for the tongue shouldn't be a problem. I have a 5x10 tilt back trailer that was built over 20 years ago. It has a long 2 inch tube tongue. I have hauled all kinds of building material, hay, brick, my 4 wheeler, and my 1500 lbs Scag lawn mower on it with never a problem. The tongue is straight and I have even jack knifed it up against the back of the jeep and one time I tilted it back then backed up to tilt the trailer way up to empty a load of dirt and no damage. I would not worry to much about just using the straight single tube for a tongue.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #78
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

The floor

We got got the floor basically done now. It's 1/8" aluminum sheet metal. We did it as a single piece, to avoid any seams in the floor. To do this, we had to be a bit sloppy with our notches around the posts and d-rings, but that's OK - this is an off-road trailer, not a piano. To get the floor in, we put it in from the front, diagonally, and pushed it in toward the back, Then we let it drop down and all the notches fell into place. No major **** ups on this piece (: At some point, I need to take it back out and grind down the edges smooth to avoid snag points - and also drill the holes so we can screw it in to the frame. Will not do that until after the frame gets whatever surface treatment (paint, galvanization, or whatever) its going to get.

FWIW - the floor was about $175 for the sheet metal - and it weighs about 50 pounds. The 1/8" might be a little over kill, but I figure better safe than sorry.
0.jpg   1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #79
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, for my brake controller, I got the The Tekonsha P3, from Adventure RV. Priced shipped to Alaska was $142.

Kind of a strange buying experience - I ordered on-line - never heard from them - no confirmation, no anything. Got the item in the mail 2 days later (not bad for priority mail across the country). Was kinda surprised (:

Unit is a lot smaller than it seems from the pictures on-line. Carrying case is high quality too. I think I'm going to like this little unit once I get it hooked up and a trailer to tow with it (:
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #80
ice blue
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you made anymore progress?
ice blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #81
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice blue View Post
Have you made anymore progress?
Some. I acquired fasteners for the floor and tool boxes, along with the appropriate drill bits and taps. The toolboxes have been drilled for screws and holes in the frame have been drilled and tapped, and each box is now held on securely with four fasteners (screws). I plan to put more screws on the tool boxes, but at least now they can stay up there without being strapped on.

Got the feet welded on to the stabilizer bars today. Now I need to drill the positioning holes. Once i do that, I can start using them to keep the trailer level and in place instead of my jack stands.

Also made a lot of process toward getting the Jeep electrically ready for this trailer. You can read about my Mopar 7-pin wiring harness install here (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/installing-mopar-7-pin-trailer-adapter-brake-controller-jk-586378/) and my custom JK electrical panel here (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/custom-build-jk-electrical-panel-589165/). That was a lot of work too (:

Now working on the doors - a bit of trial and error going on, but we think we have it worked out.
Unread 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #82
djb_rh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Okay, first of all, great work! I dig it.

Did you consider a torsion bar axle instead leaf springs? If not, why not? If so, why did you choose springs instead?

One recommendation...do not overestimate the handling capabilities of your trailer on the road. Your Jeep WILL take corners better than that trailer will when loaded, I promise. Take it from someone who has rolled a small trailer behind him on the street and just take it easy. I do not believe you have it too top heavy or anything, but it is narrow and it does have a higher Cg. You seem like the careful type, but I like to think I am, too, and well, I did it.

I like the way you made it so you can adjust the tongue weight. Could be important. Having built a trailer before with VERY sensitive tongue weight needs, I did the same thing. It's good if you could get access to some race car scale pads when you're done with it to get that right, but you can probably figure it out otherwise, too. I race cars, so that's what I did with mine. But again, my needs were VERY sensitive here.

--Donnie
djb_rh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #83
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Okay, first of all, great work! I dig it.
Thanks (:

Quote:
Did you consider a torsion bar axle instead leaf springs? If not, why not? If so, why did you choose springs instead?
I did. I ended up going with the springs because all signs pointed to lower cost and more up to being abused. I may have been misled, but that was the thought.

Quote:
One recommendation...do not overestimate the handling capabilities of your trailer on the road.
Yeah - I plan to do some significant trials with an empty trailer to first, make sure the thing is going to hold together and not fall apart on me. Second, to get a feel for what its limits are. Third, to see how it handles, how the Jeep handles it, and how I handle the Jeep handling it. I'll probably do these trials at hours when the roads are not very populated, and do them with as few people around as possible - and have a chase vehicle behind me so I can get the report on what's going on before it becomes a critical event. If all goes well after that, then I'll try loading it up and see how it goes (:

Quote:
I do not believe you have it too top heavy or anything, but it is narrow and it does have a higher Cg.
I dunno about all that. The main frame itself and the associated goodies are all very heavy and at the bottom of the trailer. There is no way that the super structure and the tool boxes outweigh what they're sitting on. I'll do the math on it just to get the figures for what it really is at some point - but I'm not so sure that it has a particularly high center of gravity - at least empty. The tool boxes, the highest points on the trailer, will have relatively light contents relative to the rest of the thing. We'll see how it goes (:

Quote:
I like the way you made it so you can adjust the tongue weight.
Major pain in the *** - but critical requirement for being able to put the scooter on a bumper mounted rack and still have some balance.

Quote:
It's good if you could get access to some race car scale pads when you're done with it to get that right, but you can probably figure it out otherwise, too.
I plan on taking it to the city dump. I can go in once with the Jeep to get a weight, then go back in with the trailer to get a weight, subtract the difference and get the weight of the trailer. The tongue weight is easy to do, just using a basic home scale.

Thanks!
td
Unread 08-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #84
djb_rh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh, I agree you aren't "too high" with the weight or anything. Just trust me in that your Jeep will still handle better than your trailer will as far as taking turns rapidly. Your trailer will tip long before the Jeep. That's all I'm saying.

You're on the ball with it, though. Nice work.

--Donnie
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #85
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Torsion axles can "pop out" with extended washboard. That is the major downfall. Plus you have to replace the whole thing if it breaks, as apposed to just a leaf or two if you break one.
0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #86
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, I agree you aren't "too high" with the weight or anything. Just trust me in that your Jeep will still handle better than your trailer will as far as taking turns rapidly. Your trailer will tip long before the Jeep. That's all I'm saying.
Oh - sure, I can believe that. Fortunately, it's a JK - which means it can't really go very fast anyway (:

I'm uber nervous when pulling a trailer. I'm not real likely to tip it over on the highway due to excessive speed. There is a good chance I will either back into something with it, or not leave enough room behind me when doing something and cut someone off or what not though. For some reason, I find the rear visibility in the JK to be extremely poor. I suck backing up to begin with, the JK isn't helping me any (:

I hope to get a backup cam mod done as soon as I can after the trailer is over. Hopefully, I will have it in place and operational before next summer. It will be wired to be on any time I want, so I can use it when driving down the road to see what is going on both behind the Jeep and behind the trailer being pulled by the Jeep (i.e. 2 cameras). This should help me out a lot (:
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #87
djb_rh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
I hope to get a backup cam mod done as soon as I can after the trailer is over. Hopefully, I will have it in place and operational before next summer. It will be wired to be on any time I want, so I can use it when driving down the road to see what is going on both behind the Jeep and behind the trailer being pulled by the Jeep (i.e. 2 cameras). This should help me out a lot (:
If you do it with a video capable double DIN stereo, those have a "reverse sense" input that will flip the video to your backup cam automagically when you put it in reverse. What a lot of coach builders do is wire that in, but also put an override switch on the dash that will let you turn it on whenever you want. I've got a Freightliner Sportchassis tow rig that came that way from the factory.

Heck, these days there are systems for RVs that even tie to the turn signals and you can put cameras on both sides for your blind spot(s) and it'll switch to those when you signal! I've already got a video switcher in the Sportchassis, too, so I can be on the backup cam, trailer cam, or internal trailer cam. Stupid thing resets itself to the first input every time you start the engine, though. Nothing is ever quite perfect...unless you DIY at the level of detail YOU are doing!

--Donnie
Unread 08-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #88
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you do it with a video capable double DIN stereo, those have a "reverse sense" input that will flip the video to your backup cam automagically when you put it in reverse.
Yeah- I don't want to replace my stock stereo though. I'm just going to get a 7" LCD monitor, put it where I want to put it, and wire some input sources to it. Not entirely sure how I will go about it, but I'll think of something. I've got all winter to figure it out (:
Unread 08-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #89
RightyMarksman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any more update this is just an awesome project , giving me alot of bad Ideas here . I think im goign to start mine when it gets a little bit cooler here , as welding in 103 degree heat is for the birds .
God made man , Samuel Colt made them all equal
Rightside drive Jeep club member #1
Protected by SigSauer
RightyMarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #90
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

Bump! any updates?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.