Building an off-road trailer from scratch - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Building an off-road trailer from scratch

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #46
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

To keep it tracking in the same ruts and lines going through obsticles and rutted roads. I don't know first hand, but I trust the sources.

0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #47
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

But wouldn't it do a better job of that if the track were the same as the Jeep's?
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #48
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think its to do with the angles on sharper turns, your trailer isn't going to follow your line exactly on turns. If you have ever been water skiing, you know that when the boat turns your turn naturally follows to the inside of that line, same theory, when your Jeep turns, having a narrower track lets the inside wheel stay with the inside rear wheel of the tow vehicle.
0lllllll0
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #49
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

0lllllll0

Last edited by TheGillz; 07-08-2008 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: dupt
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #50
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillz View Post
I think its to do with the angles on sharper turns, your trailer isn't going to follow your line exactly on turns. If you have ever been water skiing, you know that when the boat turns your turn naturally follows to the inside of that line, same theory, when your Jeep turns, having a narrower track lets the inside wheel stay with the inside rear wheel of the tow vehicle.
Oh, I see. Well, once I get this thing road-worthy, I guess I will find out (:
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #51
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

have you decided if you are going to use a ball hitch or a pintle?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #52
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is an article on this subject in JPFreek's current issue, featuring the 360 degree trailer hitch.

http://www.jpfreek.com/current/index.html
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #53
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
have you decided if you are going to use a ball hitch or a pintle?
I'm going to use the ball for now and get one of those multi-axis thingies in time for next summer. They're expensive. Shipping alone probably will cost me more than the item. So I need some time to recover from the costs of this thing - and reality is that I'm not going to get "real" use out of it this summer anyway. At the rate I'm going I might get to use it once after I finish it before the winter hits (:

Last edited by waterboarder; 07-09-2008 at 01:04 AM..
Unread 07-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #54
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

good work so far. My question is...how come you didn't use say a comanche bed/frame and build storage into that?? Then you would be able to have any lift and tire size you want on the trailer and save yourself the time of welding a frame together.
Unread 07-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #55
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMass View Post
good work so far.
Thanks (:

Quote:
My question is...how come you didn't use say a comanche bed/frame and build storage into that??
Um...because I didn't have one sitting around?
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #56
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Today's progress - picture set 1 of 2

In this first set, you can see the tongue mounts (receiver tubes) are now reinforced with gussets and that that rear bumper mounts have been welded on.

I believe this will provide enough strength for the tongue, even in very poor road conditions. Note that the tongue will go through both receiver tubes (welded on thoroughly), be pinned in two places with a 5/8" pin, and that the receiver tubes are additional supported by welded on gussets - angled to increase weld contacts. What do you guys think?

On the rear bumper mounting bars - recall that I am building the bumper with 3 receiver tube mounts, so that I can attach a carrier designed to carry my scooter (400 pounds). Note the mounting bars will lever downward, and against two of the frame's main cross-members. I anticipate this will spread the weight of the scooter throughout the frame and provide enough overall support. What do you guys think?
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #57
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Today's progress - picture set 2 of 2

In this next picture set, you can see how the front/side stabilizer are welded on, how they work, and what their multiple functionalities are. There is one of these on each side, plus the rear bumper will have two, one at each rear corner.

Each of these 4 points serves as a:
a). Jack point (specifically a hi-lift jack point).
b). Stabilizer when parked and disconnected from tow vehicle
c). Awning/tent pole mounting point

The pictures pretty much tell the story of how these work. Each unit consists of the jack point, welded to the frame, an L-shaped mounting unit that slides into the jack point and provides a vertical tube point for the stabilizer tube bar, and the stablizer tube bar itself - which will be "capped" on one end, with a hole drilled through the cap so that a tent pole can slide down there and be supported by the tube.

Having these in place will help keep the trailer level when parked, without needing jack stands. The advantage over "traditional" crank-down stabilizer is that I don't really lose any ground clearance, plus I get the two added benefits of designated jack points and awning/tent pole support points.
5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #58
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome!

Very inspiring. I just spent the last week under my Vette, spinning wrenches. Every so often (as often the case) I'll just get frustrated and think "screw it, just take it to a mechanic & save the headache. But, I'll manage to eventually figure it out and once the job is finished, I'm like "yesss! I did it myself"

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the project
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #59
puttputt56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like most of the design of your off-road trailer but have one real concern about it and that is the tongue of the trailer!! Tongue weight? I am a strong believer in triangulation and believe you will find that the tongue will bend as it is design now(if you have to make a quick stop or swirve out of the way of something). A solid bar may help stop it a little but that will just add more weight to the tongue. You could add triangulation by welding some box tubing to the sides of the trailer and at the point they meet the tongue add another slip box tubing so it just sticks out a short way passed the trailer. Once you add (fill) that front box with supples it is going to be a bear to lift and connect it to the tow vehicle. puttputt56
puttputt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #60
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

In for updates

That looks really good.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.