Pictures of recent results
On June 30th, I did a test fit with the wheel spacers (adaptors) and found out that they do not give as much clearance between the tires and the frame I would like. It works, but just ever so barely. I decided that I would have to get a new axle as a result of all this testing. Fortunately, much to my amazement, they took back the old axle, even though I had painted it and even though I had welded on the spring brackets! I couldn't believe it! Saved me some $140 or so.
Anyway - some pictures of my June 30th test fitting. The first set shows the adjustable axle in the rear-most setting. I know the picture looks funny - but before you criticize - I'm planning on making a bumper-mounted scooter carrier for the back of this thing. The carrier and the scooter will add some 400 pounds to the ***-end of this thing, requiring the axle to be moved way back. I don't know if I will need the very last position - but I figured, hell, what's a few more holes?
The next set of pictures shows me moving the axle to the front-most position. It's a pain in the *** because I had the bolts going the wrong way, which required me to take the tires off to get the bolts out, so I could move the axle frame. That required me to put it up on jack stands, use ratcheting straps to hold the axle frame in place while I moved it, etc. Now I have the bolts going the right way, so next time I do this test, it should be a lot easier.
The last set of pictures shows the adjustable axle in the front-most position. I have a feeling it will not need to be quite that far forward - but the purpose of these pictures is really to demonstrate the range of adjustability.
As you can see from the pictures, the axle and suspension are on their own frame, which then bolts to the main frame. Besides allowing me to adjust the position of the suspension, it also means I can take the suspension and put it on a different trailer frame if I want to - one way to save money I guess. Not why I did it, but just another use for it.
By the way - the last set of pictures also shows the toolboxes strapped to the frame - they will eventually be bolted or welded on. Also, I have the replacement axle installed in the last set of pictures and I am very well satisfied with the clearance between the tires and the frame. The trailer's track is 68.5" and the Jeep's is 71.5" - I hope that 3" difference is not enough to be worried about.