Building an off-road trailer from scratch - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Building an off-road trailer from scratch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #31
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Question about wheels.

Swapped out the 5 on 5.5 hub faces and wheels I originally got for 5 on 5 hub faces and (1999 Grand Cherokee factory) black wheels to go on the new hub faces. They didn't charge me the $45 price difference, which was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, even though the bolt pattern is now the same as the Jeep, the center hole on the Jeep wheels is too small for the hub face. Is it possible to get the Jeep wheels bored out a bit on the center hole and still have them fit the Jeep OK? Details and thoughts on this are appreciated (:

Last edited by waterboarder; 06-27-2008 at 02:25 PM..
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #32
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

I replied in the JK tech thread. See in more detail that and my build up thread.
0lllllll0¬
.....|¯/¯¯¯\¯\_|__|¯¯ºŒ---------¬<=##=>
.....¯ (o)_)-)_)........…(o)_)÷)_(o)_)÷)_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #33
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, I'm going to give up on my dream of using the same wheels/tires on the Jeep and the trailer. It's just too expensive, unless I can find a set of free or nearly free JK wheels and tires.

In the meantime, the new black wheels I got to match the bolt pattern on the hubs have too much offset and now I can't put the wheels on without hitting the frame! I bought some 1.25" wheel adapters here in town ($120) and they let me put the wheels on - but the tires just barely clear the frame (by a 1/4" or so). Too close for my comfort - so I took them back and got a refund and got a longer axle instead (65" instead of 61"). I couldn't believe they took the axle back after I painted it and welded on the axle brackets! Holy cow! That saved me a $120 replacement cost on a new axle - or the $120 on the wheel adapters - take your pick. So now I need to weld on the brackets to this new axle and repaint it and reinstall and such. Dammit!

In unrelated news - I came up with a great idea concerning built-in jack stands, hi-lift jack points and awning support points. It will be a bit before I get this going, so you'll have to wait for the picts (:

Last edited by waterboarder; 07-01-2008 at 07:08 PM..
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #34
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, still have not put the new axle on - but today I went to the DMV to title, register and get a tag for the trailer. Cost me $65 for all. Can't wait until I get the thing actually in a towable condition (:
Unread 07-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #35
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Pictures of recent results

On June 30th, I did a test fit with the wheel spacers (adaptors) and found out that they do not give as much clearance between the tires and the frame I would like. It works, but just ever so barely. I decided that I would have to get a new axle as a result of all this testing. Fortunately, much to my amazement, they took back the old axle, even though I had painted it and even though I had welded on the spring brackets! I couldn't believe it! Saved me some $140 or so.

Anyway - some pictures of my June 30th test fitting. The first set shows the adjustable axle in the rear-most setting. I know the picture looks funny - but before you criticize - I'm planning on making a bumper-mounted scooter carrier for the back of this thing. The carrier and the scooter will add some 400 pounds to the ***-end of this thing, requiring the axle to be moved way back. I don't know if I will need the very last position - but I figured, hell, what's a few more holes?

The next set of pictures shows me moving the axle to the front-most position. It's a pain in the *** because I had the bolts going the wrong way, which required me to take the tires off to get the bolts out, so I could move the axle frame. That required me to put it up on jack stands, use ratcheting straps to hold the axle frame in place while I moved it, etc. Now I have the bolts going the right way, so next time I do this test, it should be a lot easier.

The last set of pictures shows the adjustable axle in the front-most position. I have a feeling it will not need to be quite that far forward - but the purpose of these pictures is really to demonstrate the range of adjustability.

As you can see from the pictures, the axle and suspension are on their own frame, which then bolts to the main frame. Besides allowing me to adjust the position of the suspension, it also means I can take the suspension and put it on a different trailer frame if I want to - one way to save money I guess. Not why I did it, but just another use for it.

By the way - the last set of pictures also shows the toolboxes strapped to the frame - they will eventually be bolted or welded on. Also, I have the replacement axle installed in the last set of pictures and I am very well satisfied with the clearance between the tires and the frame. The trailer's track is 68.5" and the Jeep's is 71.5" - I hope that 3" difference is not enough to be worried about.

Enjoy!
6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #36
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Changing the axle position

Pictures attached.
9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #37
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Front-most position

Here is the axle in the front-most position.
12.jpg   13.jpg   14.jpg   15.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2008, 02:25 AM   #38
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

This next set shows the new, longer axle installed and the tool boxes.
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Unread 07-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #39
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rest of July 7th pictures

See attached...

You can also see on the D-rings that have been welded on in the main cargo bay for securing cargo.
6.jpg   7.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #40
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin' good. Depending on how you load it you may want to slide the axle back a little to get that 60/40 weight balance.
Unread 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #41
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Looking awesome man!

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #42
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

That looks interesting, I'm telling you though, washboard is an offroad trailers worst enemy, and that won't hold up the way you have that reciever attatched to the front. That needs about 3x the support that I see there...I would hate to see your trailer stranded out in the middle of nowhere without a way to be towed....

Other than that, it looks like a real "out of the box" design that has a lot of promise.
0lllllll0¬
Unread 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #43
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillz View Post
That looks interesting, I'm telling you though, washboard is an offroad trailers worst enemy, and that won't hold up the way you have that reciever attatched to the front. That needs about 3x the support that I see there...I would hate to see your trailer stranded out in the middle of nowhere without a way to be towed....
It's not finished (:

a). The receiver hitches will have gussets - they are cut out, just not yet welded into place.

b). The tongue you see in the photos is a temp - the real one will go through both receiver hitches and be pinned through both.

See this pict to see what I mean...

Quote:
Other than that, it looks like a real "out of the box" design that has a lot of promise.
Thanks (:

By the way - as you can see from the notes in the above posts, going with the wider axle didn't add any unnecessary track. In fact, I'm still 1.5" short on both sides. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a problem.
tongue_mount.jpg  

Last edited by waterboarder; 07-08-2008 at 04:41 PM..
Unread 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #44
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's great about the axle! From what I've read having slightly narrower track is ideal for offroad anyway.
0lllllll0¬
Unread 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #45
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillz View Post
That's great about the axle! From what I've read having slightly narrower track is ideal for offroad anyway.
Really? Why? I dunno much about these things.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.