building a camper on a car trailer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > building a camper on a car trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowillie
Agreed.
I got my camper for free last summer. It's a 1986 bare bones little shmutz but it gets the job done and is much better than camping on the ground. Has 2 full size pull outs, a twin size table/benches sink and 2 burner propane stove. It's great bc I can leave all my camping stuff in it. If I ever get a car trailer I will definitely be putting it on the front and slap the jeep behind it.

Another thought would be to build something tear drop styling on the tongue. Wouldn't be the most comfortable sleeping arrangement but it has potential to work

NotSoMelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #17
scoopys-yj

have you considered a slide in pop up camper for in the bed of the Dakota.
scoopys-yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopys-yj View Post
have you considered a slide in pop up camper for in the bed of the Dakota.
Pretty sure just the trailer and Jeep has the Dakota overloaded, a camper would definitely push it over the edge.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj
Pretty sure just the trailer and Jeep has the Dakota overloaded, a camper would definitely push it over the edge. Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Ptf who follows those factory tow ratings?! I sure don't.
Unread 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have considered a tear drop style yeah and if I do extend the trailer, I will look into moving the axles. The tongue weight along with all the gear and everything factored in is still ok with the factory payload on the dakota. My dad also just sold his 3/4 ton dodge and is giving me the equalizer hitch off it which will help a ton!
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #21
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
I have considered a tear drop style yeah and if I do extend the trailer, I will look into moving the axles. The tongue weight along with all the gear and everything factored in is still ok with the factory payload on the dakota. My dad also just sold his 3/4 ton dodge and is giving me the equalizer hitch off it which will help a ton!
Isn't factory payload on the Dakota with a V8 like 4800? I would think the trailer plus jeep plus gear would put you really close if not over That.
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I wish the payload was that lol payload is about that of a half ton truck around 1500lbs tow rating is all over from what I've seen but the most concrete one I've gotten was around 6500lbs. Whatever it may be I wouldn't tow something if it was even questionably sketchy and I feel more than safe towing that much with the dak. This summer I am doing more mods to it to help it tow. I came really close to buying a 3/4 ton dodge but figured school is more important right now. So the truck will be staying awhile. Plus I really like it. Its fast, nimble and fun to drive plus its one of those vehicles where I can turn the key and smile
Unread 02-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #23
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wish the payload was that lol payload is about that of a half ton truck around 1500lbs tow rating is all over from what I've seen but the most concrete one I've gotten was around 6500lbs. Whatever it may be I wouldn't tow something if it was even questionably sketchy and I feel more than safe towing that much with the dak. This summer I am doing more mods to it to help it tow. I came really close to buying a 3/4 ton dodge but figured school is more important right now. So the truck will be staying awhile. Plus I really like it. Its fast, nimble and fun to drive plus its one of those vehicles where I can turn the key and smile
My mistake. Meant towing capacity not payload. Hey I'm there with you, I tow a pop up camper with my TJ, rated at 1500 towing capacity. My pop up fully loaded is probably around the 2000 mark. I'm looking into sway bars for this camping season bc at highway speeds it bounces a bit on the less than perfect New York roads.
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #24
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah no worries I don't even really know what the factory specs are I just know it works and even with the lowest tow rating I've found I am still ok so I'm not to concerned. One day I will have a more ideal tow pig
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #25
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah no worries I don't even really know what the factory specs are I just know it works and even with the lowest tow rating I've found I am still ok so I'm not to concerned. One day I will have a more ideal tow pig
Good luck with whatever you decide to do about adding a camper to it. I hope it works out for you.
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #26
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man yeah I am gonna wait until I get a bigger truck and make my current situation work for now

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.