building a camper on a car trailer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM
NotSoMelloYello
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coram
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowillie
Agreed.
I got my camper for free last summer. It's a 1986 bare bones little shmutz but it gets the job done and is much better than camping on the ground. Has 2 full size pull outs, a twin size table/benches sink and 2 burner propane stove. It's great bc I can leave all my camping stuff in it. If I ever get a car trailer I will definitely be putting it on the front and slap the jeep behind it.

Another thought would be to build something tear drop styling on the tongue. Wouldn't be the most comfortable sleeping arrangement but it has potential to work

NotSoMelloYello is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 26 Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM
scoopys-yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: derry
Posts: 90
have you considered a slide in pop up camper for in the bed of the Dakota.
scoopys-yj is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 AM
tjcj
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yakima
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopys-yj View Post
have you considered a slide in pop up camper for in the bed of the Dakota.
Pretty sure just the trailer and Jeep has the Dakota overloaded, a camper would definitely push it over the edge.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum

Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
tjcj is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM
NotSoMelloYello
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coram
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj
Pretty sure just the trailer and Jeep has the Dakota overloaded, a camper would definitely push it over the edge. Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Ptf who follows those factory tow ratings?! I sure don't.
NotSoMelloYello is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
aircruiser
Registered User
 
aircruiser's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,774
I have considered a tear drop style yeah and if I do extend the trailer, I will look into moving the axles. The tongue weight along with all the gear and everything factored in is still ok with the factory payload on the dakota. My dad also just sold his 3/4 ton dodge and is giving me the equalizer hitch off it which will help a ton!

1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
NotSoMelloYello
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coram
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
I have considered a tear drop style yeah and if I do extend the trailer, I will look into moving the axles. The tongue weight along with all the gear and everything factored in is still ok with the factory payload on the dakota. My dad also just sold his 3/4 ton dodge and is giving me the equalizer hitch off it which will help a ton!
Isn't factory payload on the Dakota with a V8 like 4800? I would think the trailer plus jeep plus gear would put you really close if not over That.
NotSoMelloYello is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
aircruiser
Registered User
 
aircruiser's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,774
I wish the payload was that lol payload is about that of a half ton truck around 1500lbs tow rating is all over from what I've seen but the most concrete one I've gotten was around 6500lbs. Whatever it may be I wouldn't tow something if it was even questionably sketchy and I feel more than safe towing that much with the dak. This summer I am doing more mods to it to help it tow. I came really close to buying a 3/4 ton dodge but figured school is more important right now. So the truck will be staying awhile. Plus I really like it. Its fast, nimble and fun to drive plus its one of those vehicles where I can turn the key and smile

1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 AM
NotSoMelloYello
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coram
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
I wish the payload was that lol payload is about that of a half ton truck around 1500lbs tow rating is all over from what I've seen but the most concrete one I've gotten was around 6500lbs. Whatever it may be I wouldn't tow something if it was even questionably sketchy and I feel more than safe towing that much with the dak. This summer I am doing more mods to it to help it tow. I came really close to buying a 3/4 ton dodge but figured school is more important right now. So the truck will be staying awhile. Plus I really like it. Its fast, nimble and fun to drive plus its one of those vehicles where I can turn the key and smile
My mistake. Meant towing capacity not payload. Hey I'm there with you, I tow a pop up camper with my TJ, rated at 1500 towing capacity. My pop up fully loaded is probably around the 2000 mark. I'm looking into sway bars for this camping season bc at highway speeds it bounces a bit on the less than perfect New York roads.
NotSoMelloYello is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
aircruiser
Registered User
 
aircruiser's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,774
Yeah no worries I don't even really know what the factory specs are I just know it works and even with the lowest tow rating I've found I am still ok so I'm not to concerned. One day I will have a more ideal tow pig

1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM
NotSoMelloYello
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coram
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
Yeah no worries I don't even really know what the factory specs are I just know it works and even with the lowest tow rating I've found I am still ok so I'm not to concerned. One day I will have a more ideal tow pig
Good luck with whatever you decide to do about adding a camper to it. I hope it works out for you.
NotSoMelloYello is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
aircruiser
Registered User
 
aircruiser's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,774
Thanks man yeah I am gonna wait until I get a bigger truck and make my current situation work for now

1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome