Bigt2317's crawler hauler build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Bigt2317's crawler hauler build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you had a chance to pull this around all loaded up? How does it handle.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum

Unread 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just got back from a trip all loaded up and it pulled fantastic! No issues keeping speeds in the hill country, it did buck a little when hitting bigger bumps but no big deal. Overall the trip went great and the camper was awesome to have!

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #18
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What is the pin weight like?

It looks like your entire rig comes in just under 22,000. I want to do the same thing but I only have a 2006 chevy 2500hd td.
My jeep weighs less and I plan to use a slide in camper which also weighs less... but even yours at 22,000 falls right at my capability according to documentation...

but with all that said I don't want to exceed the rear pin weight capability of my truck.

any idea on your pin weight?
keithjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't had a chance to go to a CAT scale and weight it fully loaded. Now that I put a toolbox on the tongue with air compressor, ext cords, chairs, camp stove, etc, I bet I'm pushing more like 23K on weight. My pin weight is guesstimated around 2.5-3K when the jeep is on the back.

I think your biggest issue is going to be the rear axle weight limits. I'll have to find time to go to CAT scale then I'll post back up!

Also, be careful on those slide in's, some weight a ridiculous amount for what they are. We were looking at one that fit a short bed and had a drop down in the back and it was stickered at over 3K! My jayco's whole GVWR is a touch over 3K

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm worried about. The whole reason I'm even considering doing this is because my current 5th wheel toy hauler is really nice and easily accommodates my jeep but has a 18k gvwr. Which requires a non commercial class a.

Towed it fine for 6 years but now that I'm really learning about weight capacities I think I have been way over weight for my truck for those 6 years. On top of that, though I've never had a problem, I've heard they are beginning to crack down on the non commercial class a. Plus I don't want insurance problems should something occur.

So basically I want to get under 15k. Just worried about pin weight.
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjb View Post
Thanks, that is exactly what I'm worried about. The whole reason I'm even considering doing this is because my current 5th wheel toy hauler is really nice and easily accommodates my jeep but has a 18k gvwr. Which requires a non commercial class a.

Towed it fine for 6 years but now that I'm really learning about weight capacities I think I have been way over weight for my truck for those 6 years. On top of that, though I've never had a problem, I've heard they are beginning to crack down on the non commercial class a. Plus I don't want insurance problems should something occur.

So basically I want to get under 15k. Just worried about pin weight.
Not sure on CA laws but I believe the "grey area" in the laws books of Texas states that if a trailer is registered as an RV with a toilet that the weights don't have to be below the 26K.

But if that is the case then people to for sure overload the rear axle not even knowing the other limitations of the truck, ie: brakes, axles, tires, etc.

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4300117197.html

Current setup. Fits the jeep like a champ.
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #23
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4300117197.html

Current setup. Fits the jeep like a champ.
Whats the cargo cap of that? garage length? Floorplan?

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

10800 dry with a 18k gvwr. So 8k capacity for additional stuff. I never come close.

The garage is like 20 ft. I once tried to fit a rhino and jeep in it but was short by about 1 foot.

What do you mean by floor plan? There's no slides. Has a queen bed in the back, full shower and toilet, all the normal amenities of a 5th wheel camper... Just with a giant garage.
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #25
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

mmm, sounds like what I want..... is there a wall separating the garage and living area?

My crawler hauler is up for sale now for $17K, wife wants something like an enclosed race trailer. We'll see

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #26
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No wall. That's why my jeep fits. I don't think an enclosed 5th wheel that has a walled garage could ever fit a jeep.
Unread 01-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No wall. That's why my jeep fits. I don't think an enclosed 5th wheel that has a walled garage could ever fit a jeep.
gotcha, I'd really want a wall there. There are only a handful of toy haulers that can handle the load and have a minimum of 14' garage.

We are thinking of one of these: http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHau...656&RVType=THF

Build thread
Flickr pictures
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #28
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ohhh, the work and plays are really nice. I am too much in love with the way 5th wheels tow and handle though. And those things are a pretty penny. Super nice though. Do they make those in 5th wheel configs?
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #29
keithjb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And how long is your jeep?
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #30
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt2317 View Post
My crawler hauler is up for sale now for $17K, wife wants something like an enclosed race trailer. We'll see
Say what?? You're already selling it??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.