Best winch for the trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Best winch for the trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Best winch for the trailer

I'm going to put a winch in my enclosed trailer to make it easier to load dead vehicles. Thankfully the TJ hasn't fallen into this category yet (knock on wood), but I move old trucks from time to time that do, and it would be a handy thing to have in there anyway.

Now to my questions. What size winch would you recommend? I want an American made product, and am looking at the Warn VR8000 for $479.99 at 4 wheel parts. Is that too big a winch to be dragging dead vehicles up into a trailer? The 8k winch is cheaper than their 6k winch, which is a bit confusing, but...

Thoughts or recommendations?

TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have been lookin to put one on my trailer also. I think Im going to go with a 8K Warn craigslist special mainly because there easy to find and cheap.
Unread 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You could probably get away with a "large" quad-winch in the 4000lb range for pulling rolling-stock into the trailer - that is as long as the thing that is being pulled in is not dragging on the ground (no-wheels) and you are not using the quad-winch for pulling stuff out of sucking mud.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would agree that a 4000 Lb. winch should be adequate to load a "roller" into the trailer. Electrical loading and battery life should also be better with the smaller winch.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah if the rig rolls then a 4K would do the trick and that is probably what I would get if the last rig I pulled wasnt a 50 Hudson 4 door. with 3 locked breaks and 4 flats and had been sitting in some bushes for a few years. It kept pulling my Jeep.

Think about what your going to be pulling up on it
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
Yeah if the rig rolls then a 4K would do the trick and that is probably what I would get if the last rig I pulled wasnt a 50 Hudson 4 door. with 3 locked breaks and 4 flats and had been sitting in some bushes for a few years. It kept pulling my Jeep.

Think about what your going to be pulling up on it
Good point, just because it's a "rolling" vehicle doesn't mean it's rolling very well. I'll keep my eyes open for someone upgrading their 8k Warn.

Dave
Unread 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You don't want a miniature winch in the trailer. I put one on my flatbed cause I had it in the shop off a Gator and it was miserable. It lasted all of one vehicle and it was so weak I replaced it.

The big problem is the power. You can't put 30 feet of battery cables to it (they will cost as much as the winch) so you need to locate a battery in the trailer or on the tongue of the trailer and just recharge it periodically. It doesn't hurt to have the spare power either. Stuff a set of battery cables and a few welding rods into the trailer and you can do a minor welding repair from that spare battery or start a dead rig or run some lights while people are working without having to run your rig.

Good news is that since you will only use it occasionally and for a nice straight pull into the trailer, you can buy a cheapo winch and it will last forever. Further, it will be inside so it won't deteriorate like cheapo winches do out in the weather.

I put an 8000 lb winch on my flatbed but I got a mid priced one since it is outside all the time. Works great. Can't imagine recovery without one.

Unread 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The good news on the batteries is that they'll only be about 6' from the winch. I'm looking at the Superwinch vice the Warn to save some money, but I have a Warn on the Jeep and it works great 12 years later.
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What are you towing with tha has the battery in the back?
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I use a WARN M8000 on my 18' flat bed trailer, I ran the WARN remote power kit to the rear of my dually. The winch actually does double duty between the trailer and my YJ. You mount it, 4 bolts, plug it and use it. It's loaded/dragged some heavy crap onto the trailer. If you buy the larger winch now, you'll never wish you did later. Good luck, Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
What are you towing with tha has the battery in the back?
Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread in a while. I'm putting the winch in a 36' enclosed trailer and am also building up the electrical in the trailer. Right now it has 1 battery, but eventually will be running dual deep cycle batteries with solar panels up top connected through a 30-amp charge controller, as well as a 30-amp RV service panel with house power connection to support the eventual living quarters. I'm definitely going with a larger winch so I don't have to worry about using a snatch block and running out of cable out the back of the trailer.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnProgress View Post
Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread in a while. I'm putting the winch in a 36' enclosed trailer and am also building up the electrical in the trailer. Right now it has 1 battery, but eventually will be running dual deep cycle batteries with solar panels up top connected through a 30-amp charge controller, as well as a 30-amp RV service panel with house power connection to support the eventual living quarters. I'm definitely going with a larger winch so I don't have to worry about using a snatch block and running out of cable out the back of the trailer.

Interesting to know that. I was wondering what you had in mind. Maybe some roof top solar panels for charging? You won't be sorry for using the larger winch.
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnProgress View Post
Good point, just because it's a "rolling" vehicle doesn't mean it's rolling very well. I'll keep my eyes open for someone upgrading their 8k Warn.

Dave
I have a Warn HS 9500I and I have loaded many vehicles and parts of vehicles, tractors, and other heavy crap on trailers.

If you have any sort of tire or wheel that will keep the vehicle from digging in it isn't that hard, even if the tire is flat or doesn't roll. But if whatever you are dragging digs in things change.

Make sure when you mount you winch you keep that in mind. Make sure the structure of the trailer is up to the task. Even if you have the mounting plate form hell the biggest beast of a winch and you mount it to your trailer that doesn't mean the structure of the trailer can handle the forces generated.

Your winch and mounting plate could handle 15k but if the place you mount this too can't, you may have some problems.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On the rare occasions I need to pull something dead onto my trailer, I use a simple come-along. I usually have to do two half pulls, one with a tow strap for length, then one without. There is plenty of things on my list to to spend money on that are used more often.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is nothing that beats a couple of tree limbs laid in front of the dead metal to get a non rolling mess up on the trailer with a winch or a come along and snatch block.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.