best way to tie a jeep to a trailer - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > best way to tie a jeep to a trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #76
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, here is my XJ secured to the deck of my Volvo tow rig: chains and binders from the Reese receiver to the welded on D shackles in the rear and cargo strap ratcheted to the D shackles on the Warn bumper in the front. I usually hook the winch hook into the headboard on the truck to snug things up a bit.

PS. Thanks for the comments about Cincinnati. Really is a great place to live. I can see the top of Kenwood Rd. hill from my house. There is a new senior living center up on the top of the hill. Very posh. Nice place to live if you have a big pile of money to burn. And, I am sure that you know that the Kenwood Towne Center is one of the top high grossing shopping malls in the US. Bring your black credit cards.

Unread 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #77
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, here is my XJ secured to the deck of my Volvo tow rig: chains and binders from the Reese receiver to the welded on D shackles in the rear and cargo strap ratcheted to the D shackles on the Warn bumper in the front. I usually hook the winch hook into the headboard on the truck to snug things up a bit.

PS. Thanks for the comments about Cincinnati. Really is a great place to live. I can see the top of Kenwood Rd. hill from my house. There is a new senior living center up on the top of the hill. Very posh. Nice place to live if you have a big pile of money to burn. And, I am sure that you know that the Kenwood Towne Center is one of the top high grossing shopping malls in the US. Bring your black credit cards.
When I lived there it was pretty small, the Mall was the first of its kind though. Long gone though.
We went back there a few years ago to watch a Bears and Bengals game. I was amazed at how much it has grown.
Nice tow rig!
Where do you wheel?
Any close up pictures on how you tie your rig down?
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #78
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
When I lived there it was pretty small, the Mall was the first of its kind though. Long gone though.
We went back there a few years ago to watch a Bears and Bengals game. I was amazed at how much it has grown.
Nice tow rig!
Where do you wheel?
Any close up pictures on how you tie your rig down?
I was surprised that I didn't have more of my XJ. I have a lot of photos of the Unimog on that rig, tied down the same way, but not any more of the XJ.

Everyone down here wheels at either Haspin, Badlands, Big Rock, etc.

The Volvo is pretty cool, huh? Has an air bag rear axle that drops the tail about a foot. Cat 3116, Allison 6 speed, full air brakes, a/c, winch on the headboard to pull up the dead rigs. OBA, tool boxes. Built at 33,000 GVWR. Carries two rigs like they aren't even on there.
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #79
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Question. Many body-on-frame vehicles have slots for T or J hooks. Why not just use those? I assume unibodies don't have them.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #80
cr4zyfkr

I'll add two cents.

As a former tow operator who has towed everything from Porsches, Mercedes, jeep, you name it, when I was using a rollback flatbed, I always used wheel straps as my main tie downs paired with large J hook recovery chains around the axles WITH LIGHT TENSION around all four corners as an added security measure. Most tow companies want their drivers to use wheel straps when possible because it lets the suspension work as it is being hauled. BMW actually requires wheel straps to be used and does not permit the use of chains around the axles or on the chassis. I've hauled many an X5 this way bit is perfectly safe to let the suspension work. It's the only way to make sure you don't damage your expensive parts.
cr4zyfkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #81
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4zyfkr
I'll add two cents.

As a former tow operator who has towed everything from Porsches, Mercedes, jeep, you name it, when I was using a rollback flatbed, I always used wheel straps as my main tie downs paired with large J hook recovery chains around the axles WITH LIGHT TENSION around all four corners as an added security measure. Most tow companies want their drivers to use wheel straps when possible because it lets the suspension work as it is being hauled. BMW actually requires wheel straps to be used and does not permit the use of chains around the axles or on the chassis. I've hauled many an X5 this way bit is perfectly safe to let the suspension work. It's the only way to make sure you don't damage your expensive parts.
Pretty much what I was sayin
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #82
cr4zyfkr

Glad I was able to shed some light.
cr4zyfkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #83
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4zyfkr View Post
I'll add two cents.

As a former tow operator who has towed everything from Porsches, Mercedes, jeep, you name it, when I was using a rollback flatbed,
Rollback flatbed != trailer. A 4000lb vehicle bouncing around on a 10,000lb vehicle is a lot different than a 4000lb vehicle bouncing around on a 2000lb trailer.
Quote:

I always used wheel straps as my main tie downs paired with large J hook recovery chains around the axles WITH LIGHT TENSION around all four corners as an added security measure. Most tow companies want their drivers to use wheel straps when possible because it lets the suspension work as it is being hauled. BMW actually requires wheel straps to be used and does not permit the use of chains around the axles or on the chassis. I've hauled many an X5 this way bit is perfectly safe to let the suspension work.
BMW != Jeep. Suspension travel is a hell of a lot different.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #84
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival
Rollback flatbed != trailer. A 4000lb vehicle bouncing around on a 10,000lb vehicle is a lot different than a 4000lb vehicle bouncing around on a 2000lb trailer.

BMW != Jeep. Suspension travel is a hell of a lot different.
And I work at a Chrysler dealership. Guess what. The transport drivers use wheel straps. Even on a rubicon with its =\= BMW suspension. That goes for the smaller trailers too
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #85
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For you axle vs frame guys, and you strap vs chain guys.........

I tie my Jeep to my trailer with a chain on the rear axle, and ratchet straps with J-hooks to the frame up front.

What do you think about that?
TJDaveX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #86
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
And I work at a Chrysler dealership. Guess what. The transport drivers use wheel straps. Even on a rubicon with its =\= BMW suspension. That goes for the smaller trailers too
Ok, let me see if I can make this a little more clear.

This:

is not equal to this:

or this:

or this:

Live Loads are more dangerous than restrained loads. There is no argument to be had on that point.

Another point: I'll bet that pretty much all of the vehicles at your dealership are stock height and have swaybars installed. I'll bet that your drivers haul vehicles for a living instead of for occasional recreation. I'll bet that the trailers they're hauling them on are commercially built and not heavily modified from other types.

Securing live loads is always good practice. Securing by the wheels or axles alone can be "good enough", but from a safety standpoint, it's not best practice.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.