best way to tie a jeep to a trailer - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > best way to tie a jeep to a trailer

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #61
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeeper View Post
I like my way..Why? because it works for me and I've never had a problem. I use chains now but I'm gonna switch to straps. We use them everywhere else on farm, so they should work for my jeep.

Perfect, thats the way I do mine except I use ratchet binders on the rear, but mainly because its what I have. Im going to be buying a new trailer this month and also buying new chains and binders. I will get the same as I have now but with J hooks. Im only getting new binders because everything I have been using for the last 5 years is my Dads and he just finished rebuilding his Jeep and wants his and his trailer back

Unread 08-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #62
hogelectra
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got my Jeep on the trailer but how to tie it down
Front axle maybe easy but the rear axle is hard
tj1.jpg   tj2.jpg  
hogelectra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #63
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

One of the many problems with chaining down an axle. Ask yourself: "where would I secure a snatch strap to this Jeep" when you are considering this. Because, the forces that the axle will experience may be many times the little tug we put on a Jeep with a snatch strap. If you are like me, you will unhook the chain from the axle and put it on the chassis. It looks from the photo that you may have chained the chassis already.
BTW, is that 5/16" chain in the photo? 3/8" grade 70 is the thing. That may be it, but the photo makes it look a little small.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #64
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bumping this back up, Why? because it is important.
How do you tie your Jeep to the trailer?
Me, ratchet straps, 4 of them, crisscrossed in the front, straight in the rear, and around the axle housings.
To add a little more to think about, does your state require trailer brakes and brake away kits?
Brakes on both axles or just one?
What about trailer inspections?
Alot of us tow in alot of different states. It would be really helpful to know if we were legal or not.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #65
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing, I know this might be common sense, but I have seen it many times.
When strapping a vehicle down, the ancore point (at the trailer) should always be behind or in front of the vehicle. Not straight across!
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #66
jepp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

We can see that this arguement will never be fully agreed, I have used a rented car dolly a few times and as you know the front tires sitting on the dolly are secured by a heavy strap over the tires, would this be a reasonable way to tie all four tires down on a trailer? If you aren't worried about the suspension moving around, this method would not make your trailered vehicle heavier on the wheel bearings like the mechanical advantage of chain and boomers on the chassis or axles would it? just wondering.
jepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #67
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Of course it is a never ending source of disagreement because axles make an easy target for a chain or a strap despite the obvious reluctance one would have to put a strap around an axle to snatch someone out of a hole or whatnot.

Engineers among the crowd will usually choose strapping or chaining the load meaning the rig since it is ithe load that needs to be secured. And, guys with Army truck movement training will always strap to the chassis since it is specifically prohibited to strap a military truck by its axles.

Notwithstanding the disagreement, there is a lot of knowledge in the Army Tie Down Manual TEA PAM 55-20

http://www.tea.army.mil/pubs/nr/depl.../PAM_55-20.pdf

;
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #68
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Of course it is a never ending source of disagreement because axles make an easy target for a chain or a strap despite the obvious reluctance one would have to put a strap around an axle to snatch someone out of a hole or whatnot.
;

Bla Bla Bla, same tired argument from Wilson

Again if Im stuck in the mud or hole, I usually cant get to my axle's

Plus if I can get to them im usually pointed up hill and winching from the axles would pull the axle upwards limiting my front traction and steering

***edit****

Also I'm not saying your wrong but your reason is weak, but if ya do go to the frame you should go to the bumpstops. If your rig can move it will.

I will always go to the axles though
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
Bla Bla Bla, same tired argument from Wilson

Again if Im stuck in the mud or hole, I usually cant get to my axle'sPlus if I can get to them im usually pointed up hill and winching from the axles would pull the axle upwards limiting my front traction and steering

***edit****

Also I'm not saying your wrong but your reason is weak, but if ya do go to the frame you should go to the bumpstops. If your rig can move it will.

I will always go to the axles though
I'm wondering whether you would be pulling my rig out of the mud hole with my strap looped around your axle. You don't like the argument because you know I'm right. Its the same thing. Exactly. Unless you believe that strapping down a rig on a trailer is less serious of force than coaxing a rig out of a little mud. I've done a lot of both and the trailer will experience much more serious forces. And, your idea of cranking down to the bump stops is just silly. Why? Your rig is bouncing all over the place if you secure by the axles.
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #70
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

I'll just throw in here that vehicle transport drivers (the guys that haul cars from the rail head to the dealership) strap over the tires. Even the guy with a little three car trailer goes over the tires.
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #71
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm wondering whether you would be pulling my rig out of the mud hole with my strap looped around your axle. You don't like the argument because you know I'm right. Its the same thing. Exactly. Unless you believe that strapping down a rig on a trailer is less serious of force than coaxing a rig out of a little mud. I've done a lot of both and the trailer will experience much more serious forces. And, your idea of cranking down to the bump stops is just silly. Why? Your rig is bouncing all over the place if you secure by the axles.
No it is not right. There is going to be alot more force pulling a stuck rig out than securing it to a trailer. When pulling a rig out you also have to consider how much force there is what ever it is stuck in.
When securing it to a trailer the rig is in gear, with the parking brake on. There is no where near the forces involved as pulling a vehicle out.
With my leaf springs it would be almost impossible to crank the suspension down to the bump stops.
Why would you want to put more stress on the straps or chains than needed?
From what I have seen, with a lighter vehicle, it will bounce alot more on a trailer chained or strapped to the frame than the axles.
You have to remember that the vehicles that the Armed Forces use are alot heaver than our Jeeps and do not have the suspentions made to articulate that our Jeeps are.
Also how would you go about strapping a Unibody vehicle to the trailer?
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #72
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and in Illinios I believe, you are required to have four straps or chains, a brake away kit, lights on all four corners, one in rear and a license plate light.
I have also heard that the trailer should be inspected every year.
That may be more for commercial trailers though.
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #73
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
No it is not right. There is going to be alot more force pulling a stuck rig out than securing it to a trailer. When pulling a rig out you also have to consider how much force there is what ever it is stuck in.
When securing it to a trailer the rig is in gear, with the parking brake on. There is no where near the forces involved as pulling a vehicle out.
With my leaf springs it would be almost impossible to crank the suspension down to the bump stops.
Why would you want to put more stress on the straps or chains than needed?
From what I have seen, with a lighter vehicle, it will bounce alot more on a trailer chained or strapped to the frame than the axles.
You have to remember that the vehicles that the Armed Forces use are alot heaver than our Jeeps and do not have the suspentions made to articulate that our Jeeps are.
Also how would you go about strapping a Unibody vehicle to the trailer?
Even though I know that this argument will never be won because the majority of guys wheeling Jeeps strap to the axles, I can try to do my part in setting the record straight. So, again, here goes.

Just about everything you have said is wrong. Sorry. But it is no wonder that the Sierra Club weenies and the DNR bureaucrats think we are all morons and just need to be controlled.

First, there is nothing near the force of pulling a rig out of a mud hole than a full on brakes to the floor stop from 70 mph. And if the stop ends up to be aided by something like a bridge abutment, or even a car in the road, it is not even close. Thats when your rig goes flying through the back window of your truck (leaving your axles strapped to your trailer) in case you were wondering.

Now, we all know that you could just about park your rig on a trailer with no straps on anything if you drive nice and nothing interesting happens. But that is not really what we are talking about is it?

And. no one needs to crank anything down to the “bump stops.” What would the point of this be? So the rig doesn’t jiggle up and down when you are going down the road? If you strap to the axles, what do you think everything above the axles is doing when you go down the road?

As for the military, this is just BS. The military rule applied to everything from a military pickup to as H1 to a semi. The fact of heavy or light doesn’t enter into the discussion but if it did, I am sure that the axles on an H! would be a lot more secure tie down than the rusty shackles on your leaf springs.

As for how to strap a unibody to a trailer, is that why you strap to the axles? Because if you had a unibody rig with no tow points that is what you would do?
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #74
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

opcorn:
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #75
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even though I know that this argument will never be won because the majority of guys wheeling Jeeps strap to the axles, I can try to do my part in setting the record straight. So, again, here goes.

Just about everything you have said is wrong. Sorry. But it is no wonder that the Sierra Club weenies and the DNR bureaucrats think we are all morons and just need to be controlled.

First, there is nothing near the force of pulling a rig out of a mud hole than a full on brakes to the floor stop from 70 mph. And if the stop ends up to be aided by something like a bridge abutment, or even a car in the road, it is not even close. Thats when your rig goes flying through the back window of your truck (leaving your axles strapped to your trailer) in case you were wondering.

Now, we all know that you could just about park your rig on a trailer with no straps on anything if you drive nice and nothing interesting happens. But that is not really what we are talking about is it?

And. no one needs to crank anything down to the “bump stops.” What would the point of this be? So the rig doesn’t jiggle up and down when you are going down the road? If you strap to the axles, what do you think everything above the axles is doing when you go down the road?

As for the military, this is just BS. The military rule applied to everything from a military pickup to as H1 to a semi. The fact of heavy or light doesn’t enter into the discussion but if it did, I am sure that the axles on an H! would be a lot more secure tie down than the rusty shackles on your leaf springs.

As for how to strap a unibody to a trailer, is that why you strap to the axles? Because if you had a unibody rig with no tow points that is what you would do?
Really because I do not agree with you, you are going to start insults?
The Unibody thing was a question and I never said anything about having tow points on it.
So again I will ask, how would you tie a Unibody rig down? Since you brought it up, without tow points.
A few pictures of how you chain or strap your Cherokee would be nice.
Sorry but there is no possible way my axles are going to stay on the trailer when the rest of the Jeep goes through the back window. Even if I had rusty shackles there is still the frame mount to keep the axle under the Jeep.
Oh and hey I lived in Cin. back in the early 70s. Great town, my brother still lives there.
We lived in Kenwood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.