best way to tie a jeep to a trailer - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > best way to tie a jeep to a trailer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #46
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Going wheeling March 20. I can take a picture then with the chains and straps then.

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #47
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
That would seem a valid point for ratchets, but not for chain binders - a 10-year-old girl can lift a Jeep with a chain binder, can't she?
Oh, yea. She's 14 now and thanks for asking. I should have mentioned that a ratchet strap only has a mechanical advantage of about 3-5 to 1. So its not cranking anything much anyway.
Unread 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #48
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like my way..Why? because it works for me and I've never had a problem. I use chains now but I'm gonna switch to straps. We use them everywhere else on farm, so they should work for my jeep.

My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #49
jeep4alex
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Duct tape and Zip Ties!!Just kidding....
thanks though for the informative post!
jeep4alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #50
haro504
1979 CJ7 

sorry i replied before i read all the replys dident notice the other pages and couldent delete the message
haro504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #51
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
put 'er in gear and set the parking brake ... then don't look back! just kidding, of course. The above responses pretty much cover it all
this is pretty much exactly the way a friend and I towed my jeep for 20 miles to go pick up a junked truck (he didn't have a winch on his trailer so I offered to use mine). I was sketchy about it at first, but he's got some years and quite a bit of experience on me and he insisted it was fine. I trusted him, but kept a keen eye on the Jeep the whole way down. The thing barely moved at all on the trailer. I think this whole discussion is moot because of that one trip...either way, a couple straps/chains mounted securely to the rig and some common sense behind the wheel is more than enough to transport a vehicle.

Secure it the way you feel comfortable, and it'll be fine.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #52
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
this is pretty much exactly the way a friend and I towed my jeep for 20 miles to go pick up a junked truck (he didn't have a winch on his trailer so I offered to use mine). I was sketchy about it at first, but he's got some years and quite a bit of experience on me and he insisted it was fine. I trusted him, but kept a keen eye on the Jeep the whole way down. The thing barely moved at all on the trailer. I think this whole discussion is moot because of that one trip...either way, a couple straps/chains mounted securely to the rig and some common sense behind the wheel is more than enough to transport a vehicle.

Secure it the way you feel comfortable, and it'll be fine.
I really hope your joking on this but if not.

Towing a vehicle without securing it is just stupid. The biggest reason is it can and will come off in any emergency. Take a chunk of bread or something and stick it on a plate then turn it over see what happens and you will see why not securing it is just stupid.

Like wilson has so often said both ways work if its secured correctly with the right straps/chains.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #53
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
I really hope your joking on this but if not.

Towing a vehicle without securing it is just stupid. The biggest reason is it can and will come off in any emergency. Take a chunk of bread or something and stick it on a plate then turn it over see what happens and you will see why not securing it is just stupid.

Like wilson has so often said both ways work if its secured correctly with the right straps/chains.
No, I'm not joking. I'm also not advocating doing this on a regular basis. But it did happen. I'm simply using it as an example of the whole 'resonant frequency' bit with the "two suspensions interacting" yadda yadda yadda. The simple fact remains that even an unsecured Jeep (without a front sway bar, to boot) can stay on a trailer under most circumstances, so your method of securing your vehicle really doesn't matter much, AS LONG AS IT'S SECURED. Pretty sure I mentioned that after telling my story. Thanks for reading.

Yeah, I'm aware that any emergency it's going to leave the trailer. Thanks for that wonderful example of common sense. (But what if I put some peanut butter on that piece of bread and lay it face down on the plate? ) But it's rare that you'll see an "emergency" while hauling a vehicle on a trailer. If you do, odds are that the trailer's going to take a tumble anyway, and in the process probably take your truck with it.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #54
AbAngler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I use 2 chains for the front axle and one long chain for the rear. I find the most important thing is to load the rig over the trailer axles so that its balanced. Worked well for me over the years.
AbAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #55
NEVERSWEAT
Northman

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I continue to use the 4x10500 lb ratchet straps. Double the weight on each strap..Jeep weighs in at about 4900lbs. 4x the weight on front and back. Actually if you divide the weight of the Jeep from front to back.. saying 2500 lbs on front and 2500 lbs on back.. it could become a higher safety ratio.. but then that isn't taking into consideration a hard brake check and al that jeep weight shift or moving one way from another.. either way.. most conservative ration is 4 to 1.. so,

A 4 to 1 safety ratio is not too shabby and for what I use it to accomplish, I don't concern myself with anything less.
Uncle Willy, The InnKeeper #3
06 Rubicon locked and loaded....
NEVERSWEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have been trying to document whther the so called 10,000 ratchet strap is actually referring to the overall breaking strength of the strap and ratchet or just the strap.

I look at the little spool with its, what, 1/8" thich steel ratchet teeth and question whether those little teeth would really stand up to a 10,000 load. Certainly the strap will, but that 1/8" steel wheel with the ratch teeth on it? Seems hard to believe when you look at a D shackle rated at 10,000lb and see how how stout that is.

If anyone has actually seen a specific warranty or test info on the actual ratchet, I would sure be interested in it. I just personally cannot see the entire weight of two jeeps suspended by one of those little ratchets.
Unread 03-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #57
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I have been trying to document whther the so called 10,000 ratchet strap is actually referring to the overall breaking strength of the strap and ratchet or just the strap.

I look at the little spool with its, what, 1/8" thich steel ratchet teeth and question whether those little teeth would really stand up to a 10,000 load. Certainly the strap will, but that 1/8" steel wheel with the ratch teeth on it? Seems hard to believe when you look at a D shackle rated at 10,000lb and see how how stout that is.

If anyone has actually seen a specific warranty or test info on the actual ratchet, I would sure be interested in it. I just personall cannot see the entire weight of two jeeps suspended by one of those little ratchets.
You're comparing Working load vs Breaking load. A D-shackle rated to 10,000lb working load is going to have a breaking load probably close to 10 times that figure under optimal conditions. A ratchet strap rated with a breaking load of 10,000lbs probably has a working load limit around 2000lbs, and would need optimal conditions to reach 10,000 lbs.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #58
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You're comparing Working load vs Breaking load. A D-shackle rated to 10,000lb working load is going to have a breaking load probably close to 10 times that figure under optimal conditions. A ratchet strap rated with a breaking load of 10,000lbs probably has a working load limit around 2000lbs, and would need optimal conditions to reach 10,000 lbs.
No, I understand WLL pretty well. And, I am not confusing the two things. The 10k strap has a WLL of 2300 lb or so and I understand that. I own all of these choices from straps, ropes, chains, ratchets, shackles etc. I just look at the 10000 strap and ask myself, is the little ratchet wheel going to stand up to 10,000 force? The wheel feels pretty stout when you are putting 300-500 pounds of force on it which is all you can get with a ratchet. But 10,000?

Imagine putting one of those little straps on the end of a hoist and picking up two jeeps with it. I just don't see it.
Unread 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #59
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
No, I understand WLL pretty well. And, I am not confusing the two things. The 10k strap has a WLL of 2300 lb or so and I understand that. I own all of these choices from straps, ropes, chains, ratchets, shackles etc. I just look at the 10000 strap and ask myself, is the little ratchet wheel going to stand up to 10,000 force? The wheel feels pretty stout when you are putting 300-500 pounds of force on it which is all you can get with a ratchet. But 10,000?

Imagine putting one of those little straps on the end of a hoist and picking up two jeeps with it. I just don't see it.
I imagine it would probably break right around that point. Which is why it's called the breaking strength. I'd also imagine that the 10k D-ring you referred to wouldn't have a problem with the same load, but I'd similarly question its capacity to handle over 4 times its rating.

But, I'd like to see the test done. I think it would be like anything else - new, decent quality equipment in god repair would hold up to its rated capacity and crappy, chinese-made equipment would fail long before its rating. I don't think there would be much reserve above the breaking strength, even in the best case.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #60
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I imagine it would probably break right around that point. Which is why it's called the breaking strength. I'd also imagine that the 10k D-ring you referred to wouldn't have a problem with the same load, but I'd similarly question its capacity to handle over 4 times its rating.

But, I'd like to see the test done. I think it would be like anything else - new, decent quality equipment in god repair would hold up to its rated capacity and crappy, chinese-made equipment would fail long before its rating. I don't think there would be much reserve above the breaking strength, even in the best case.
I did a different test a couple of years ago on the mechanical advantage of straps. Not so much a test as a bet. A couple of my firends thought they could get the front of a Jeep off the ground with the yellow straps. It was really great fun. I have a commercial garage with a 16" steel I beam at the ceiling. They had no chance, of course. But I don't think I'd be comfortable risking the drop of something weighing 10,000 pounds.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.