Best towing setup for motorhome - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Best towing setup for motorhome

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
mandarintj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best towing setup for motorhome

Just bought a 1999 TJ to tow behind my motorhome. Bought a Reese tow bar with heavy duty front bumper brackets. Was planning on drilling through the round crossmember for the bolts. Noticed at an RV show that other Wranglers being towed have elaborate tow bar base plates bolted to the frame and use expensive (mostly Blue Ox) tow bars. Question is do I need this setup or can I safely tow with the Reese setup. Have a Brake Buddy for the TJ which I will use. Minimal towing probably about 3000 miles per year on secondary roads, not interstates.

mandarintj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
tjTerry
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have towed my TJ for years bolted to the stock bumper with backing plates behind the bumper as washers. Now I have a Warn bumper with custom made bracket on reese tow bar to the clevis eyelets on the bumper. works fine for over 7 years. Be sure the tow bar is level or little high at the front. I have never had aux brake setup. It is not need for stopping with my MH, only for breakaway feature. Trans in first gear and transfer in nuetral. Key switch on for steering, you wont even feel it back there. I also trailer it sometimes. You can feel the trailer more and it has brakes. Just heavier and longer, but it backs up.
Good luck
tjTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
mandarintj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, your info is very helpful. My MH is Monaco 36 Ft with Ford V-10 and Banks Power Pak. Do you notice any difference in gas mileage while pulling your Jeep?

Last edited by mandarintj; 01-20-2009 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Added question.
mandarintj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
ptwelve
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I drop from about 8 to about 7 when towing my 98 TJ behind my 02 Ford V10 Georgie Boy 35'

Use backing plates or fender washers at least behind the bumper and you may want to locktite the bumper bolts.. also, try to run your safety chains to the frame.
Unread 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use the Roadmaster brackets and their cheapy towbar. Everything comes off except the frame mounted brackets. I don't like the way they hang down so low, although I have not whacked them on anything yet. On the plus side, I don't have to have as much as a riser on the motorhome. Four Winds 26' E-450 V-10. Can barely feel the Jeep back there! FYI if your's didn't come with owners manual. Transfer case in Nuetral, Auto tranny in park. First click on ignition (unlocks steering, but no power on) Happy camping!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
TJ Clay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have the exact same reese set up and i cut off the rubber bumpers on the front off my bumper then mounted the brackets through the bumper and round frame member directly behind it. No problems at all after almost 2 years of towing.
Unread 02-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I made a towbar out of 2"x1/8" square tube and welded brackets directly to my 2"x4" tube front bumper. Works great. I also do not use a supplemental brake system and don't see any need for one. Motorhome is a 36' Holiday Rambler Ambassador with a 300HP Cummins ISB.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
sheg67
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any reason why a manual trans needs to be in first, rather than nuetral, like the transfer case?
sheg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheg67 View Post
Is there any reason why a manual trans needs to be in first, rather than nuetral, like the transfer case?
To keep it from turning if some torque is transferred to it through the transfer case friction.

But I use 5th gear, not 1st, in case the t-case happens to drop in gear accidentally while towing. That way, it won't lock up the wheels.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
TamJim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Baseplate attachment for towing TJ

I want to tow my 2000 TJ behind a Class A Winnebago. The front bumper is a Warn (RockCrawler, I think). Can I attach the tow bar to the existing bracket on the bumper? Or, do I have to install a baseplate? Thanks.
TamJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.