Best setup to tow cars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Best setup to tow cars?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Best setup to tow cars?

I have decided I want to start flipping cars for a profit on the side. Hence I figure it makes sense to get a vehicle dolly and appropriate hitch/receiver. I really don't know **** about towing and realize it can be a complicated question with all the variables.

I started to search and read briefly and all kinds of options/concerns came about. Some hitches can double as a spare tire and/or bike rack carrier. They have different class ratings and ground clearance, height is a concern, etc.

I have an OME 2.5" SL about to go on and will likely step up to 33's later ...my rig will only be wheeled occasionally but when I do wheel it I want good clearance or want to be able to remove the receiver easily ...one or the other.

Finally, I guess a vehicle dolly reduces the need for ultimate strength ...and seems the only way to go anyway if I'm going to be towing fixer-uppers a few times a year.

Anyone have suggestions or some parts they'd like to sell? Thanks.

2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
05Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So, you're looking to do this with your LJ? That limits you to towing about 3000 lbs. worth of car behind you. The dolly will weigh 500+ pounds, chewing into your 3500 maximum tow capacity. You're brakes are barely adequate for a stock rig, questionable on 33s, likely dangerous if you add 3500 more pounds to stop. Not sure if dollies have their own brakes or not?

My suggestion is to get a truck.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So, you're looking to do this with your LJ? That limits you to towing about 3000 lbs. worth of car behind you. The dolly will weigh 500+ pounds, chewing into your 3500 maximum tow capacity. You're brakes are barely adequate for a stock rig, questionable on 33s, likely dangerous if you add 3500 more pounds to stop. Not sure if dollies have their own brakes or not?

I had in my head somehow that it could tow 5,000 but I think you're right. It's 3,500 for the LJ and 2,000 for the TJ isn't it? Crap, good point. I guess I could just have one towed to either my place or my mechanic friends place depending on how extensive the needed repairs are. I don't see myself flipping more than 3 - 5 cars per year anyway. Part of the idea of why it would be nice is without a dealer's liscense the only way I could avoid paying sales tax would be to not register/title/insure so I'd need to tow it to one lot or another to sell. Maybe I should get a dealer's lic so I could at least drive it legally without having to pay sales tax. Probably expensive though. I have lots to research and learn of course. I just feel an urge because I've found several nice flips in my local Ad Bulletin.

Examples, 2003 Trailblazer with clear title that someone has almost finished repairing for 2K. 2000 Impala that needs trans work, 1K OBO. Stuff like that just has me chomping at the bit to start flipping. I think I should forget the towing idea ...thanks for the reminder about the 3,500 limit ...I had it in my head that it was 5,000 or I wouldn't have even considered the idea. Didn't want to fool with a hitch anyway! Good point about 33's and brakes too.
2005 LJ, NSG-370 6-spd (close-ratio), 3.73's, three tops incl. custom Sunrider-Safari top, 38"x22" hardtop sunroof, OME 2.5", JKS 1.25 BL/1.0 MML, seats 2"^, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Ion 171's (16x8), Alpine CDE135-BT/KTP-445/Polk521Db/650Db, full soft/hard doors, Harley L.Stms, "I swear my Jeep is staying stock"
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

X 2..... a LJ is NOT a tow rig. Besides, flat towing or towing with a dolly sucks in general unless the tow rig weighs a LOT more that what is being towed. I think the perfect setup as far as weight of tow rig goes, for this would be a motorhome as the tow rig. However, a motorhome will not work out too well for what you are doing. If you are serious about flipping cars for $$, the first thing you need is a big (3/4 ton or larger) pick up truck, with a diesel or a big V8, then get a dual axle, flat deck trailer with e-brakes.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Unlimited View Post
It's 3,500 for the LJ and 2,000 for the TJ isn't it?
Yes, it is.

Make your first repair a truck. Then use it for towing.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
05Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, it is.

Make your first repair a truck. Then use it for towing.
No doubt. Thanks for the info guys. I guess if I only flip a few per year I may as well pay the tow each time (plus not all fixer upper cars will even need a tow) ...less trouble than maintaining and keeping a big vehicle and trailer. Just had to entertain the idea but I wouldn't have in the first place if I had remembered the max was 3,500 ....I mistakenly thought it was 5K.
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
gwph1255

On the subject of towing: I plan to tow 76 cj with my motor home. I know to put transfer and tranny in neutral. Do I unlock steering column?
gwph1255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwph1255 View Post
On the subject of towing: I plan to tow 76 cj with my motor home. I know to put transfer and tranny in neutral. Do I unlock steering column?
I'm not a CJ guy, but you want to research flat towing a CJ as depending upon the transmission you have, etc., the answer to your question about putting the transmission in park or in neutral will change. This is important because some transmission if allowed to spin will lack lubrication and get burned up in short order.... I think you are always safe if you remove the driveshafts, but this is a PITA. Newer Jeeps don't have some of the issues that the CJ's had, so do your research on your specific CJ.

**EDIT** I'll finish this thought... some Jeeps you will put transmission in park, others you will put transmission in neutral. HOWEVER, you will ALWAYS put the transfer case in neutral.
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Don't know the WV laws but most places if you tow more than 3,000# you must have brakes on the tow. Get a 16' car hauler with brakes on one axle and all your problems are solved. Then you don't have to worry about shredding an old tire on what you're towing. For about $250 you can put air pressure monitors on the trailer tires so you can catch a tire going down before it blows. Much safer rig if you're doing often and for long distances.
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
bobsled84088
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwph1255 View Post
Unlock steering
bobsled84088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsled84088 View Post
Unlock steering
Yes....... unlock it. Some newer Jeeps have an additional key postion that allows the Jeep to be off, steering wheel unlocked, but key removed. Not sure if CJ has this feature or not. Key off, steering wheel lock, then first postion, is power off, steering wheel unlocked, key able to be removed. The second postion is power on, steering wheel unlocked, and third postion cranks engine.
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Guys that flip cars have a trailer or a transport for a lot of cars. When you drive 150 miles to a car auction and buy a car that is gonna get flipped for a $400 profit,if you're lucky, you have to have a few of them. And, disconnecting drive shafts and flat towing cars with alignment troubles, or bad tires or whatever, is not in the program. Look at the guys who do it and you won't find one guy flat towing a purchase with a Jeep.
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Peace
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've been flipping cars for years now. My advice is bring a friend along and have him drive the other one home. If the car doesn't run, rent a truck and trailer to do the tow, or have it towed. Add that into the expenses of the car you're flipping and you can make your money back. Just my two cents.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Put some helper air springs on the rear of the truck.
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old post but my friend took this picture coming back from the local Manheim auction near me. I thought you'd get a kick out of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.