Best jeep for towing 19" boat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Best jeep for towing 19" boat?

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
mksmith

Best jeep for towing 19" boat?

I've been using a 2003 Liberty to tow my 19" Bayliner runabout, but the jeep is burning oil badly and looking like it will start costing me money to keep it running. The Liberty has done OK with the boat and trailer, but I always felt like the boat was just a little too much for the Liberty. Anyway, I'm thinking about selling the Liberty and getting a new vehicle to tow the boat. Any advice on models or tow packages would be greatly appreciated.

- Mark

mksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Indy

F150
f250
c1500 etc

If I absolutely had no choice but to tow with a jeep, probably a commander. 0Your best bet imo is get a decent dd and then drop 1y00-2000 cash on a tow rig. Combining both into 1 usually just gets you bad mileage every day and a beat up dd.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
ajmorell

How much does the boat weigh and does it have trailer brakes?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
mksmith

As near as I can tell the boat (2005 195CL) has a dry weight of 2,091 lbs. and Yes, the Karavan trailer has brakes. The Liberty was my wife's and it came with a tow package when we bought it. I think that I checked the towing package specs when I bought the boat, but I also am pretty sure towing put a beating on the jeep over time. (we also pulled a pop-up camper around for a few years as well).

We lost my wife to cancer two years ago. We still own the Liberty, but it doesn't get much use. My 20 year old daughter would like a newer (not brand new) Jeep. So I was figuring maybe trade or sell two cars (her VW and the Liberty) and get something that she could drive and that would also pull the boat. My other car is a BMW. She wants a Jeep. But I don't want to look back in 3-5 years and realize I made the same mistake twice.

Thanks for any ideas or experience in this area. Also: what is a "dd"?

- Mark
mksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mark, DD is daily driver, any vehicle that would be driven every day through the daily bump and grind, most often suited for good fuel economy, cost of maintance, and reliability, compared to a toy or a rig that would be used just for fun or every now and then.

But I'm not sure what your price range would be? How much would you be willing to spend? How much are the VW and Libby going to produce? Are you willing to add more money to that right away? First step is going to find how much finances you can put up and then go on to find the best combination that would suite the needs of a decent daily driver for some youth and a capable tow rig, whether it be a Jeep or a midsized SUV.
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

An 05-10 Grand with the Hemi will tow that like its not even there. My 88 Four Winns 20 footer weighs about 4300 all loaded up on the trailer and the Hemi doesn't even notice it.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
An 05-10 Grand with the Hemi will tow that like its not even there. My 88 Four Winns 20 footer weighs about 4300 all loaded up on the trailer and the Hemi doesn't even notice it.
That's exactly what I was going to recommend.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

The WKs with the 4.7 V8 would tow that boat easily as well but the Hemi is hard to pass up
1979 Golden Eagle Rebuild
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
wjjeep3932
2001 WJ 

XK would be my choice
wjjeep3932 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Any V8 grand cherokee should have no problem with that. My XJ does okay with my 20' RV, but a Grand Cherokee would likely be best.
Unread 11-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

19' is a bit on the long side for any Jeep, but given the low weight (<4000lbs for boat and trailer) I'd say a Grand Cherokee is your best bet. The ZJ 4.0 without any towing packages has the lowest towing capacity of all ZJs, at 4500lbs with trailer brakes. 5.2l ZJs can tow up to 6500lbs, when properly equipped. (6700lbs for 2WD models) V8 WJs can also tow 6500lbs, properly equipped, and I think WKs can tow something like 7000lbs. And of course, the WK2 diesel can tow 7500lbs.

If you're dead-set on towing with a Jeep, I'd probably go for a WJ. They're almost as cheap as ZJs, and about as capable, but they have better brakes and stronger transmissions, and arguably better creature comforts. If all you're towing is the bayliner, you're probably best off that way. If you tow other stuff with any frequency, I'd recommend getting an old pickup truck for towing and hauling only.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
LouC
2007 WK 

The WK has better brakes than the WJ, it rides better and is more stable. The Jeep nuts don't like IFS but in towing situations, anything that gives a more stable ride over bumps is a good thing. The Hemi+5 speed auto+tow/haul is the best ever Jeep drivetrain (other than the diesel) for towing.......
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The handling is arguable, but the WJ is cheaper than the WK.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
The WK has better brakes than the WJ, it rides better and is more stable. The Jeep nuts don't like IFS but in towing situations, anything that gives a more stable ride over bumps is a good thing. The Hemi+5 speed auto+tow/haul is the best ever Jeep drivetrain (other than the diesel) for towing.......
My dad's WK does a gret job towing, but around here you can get decent shape WJ's for a dew grand and that boat isnt really puahing a WJ's ability to tow at all. You have to pay more attention than something with ablonger wheelbase and sway control sure, but I honestly dont think that makes up for the price difference for some weekend trips.
Unread 11-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You guys realize this thread is 2.5 years old, right?
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.