Axle truss tie down ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Axle truss tie down ideas

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Axle truss tie down ideas

I'm buying a truck and trailer soon to hit more trails in AZ. Need ideas on tie down points for this AMC 20 with the truss. I was thinking of welding d-rings next to the diff. The plate is 3/16".

Unread 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Would you snatch someone out of a mud hole with a strap tied to your axle?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only thing holding your axle on that rig, the little rusty bolt that goes through the end of the leaf spring and bolts to the spring shackle? Consider that the forces that are applied to your tie downs are a large multiple of snatching a person out of a mudhole if you are unfortunate enough to actually need your rig to stay tied down, like say a quick stop against the rear of a fully loaded semi trailer or whatnot.
Unread 08-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Living View Post
I'm buying a truck and trailer soon to hit more trails in AZ. Need ideas on tie down points for this AMC 20 with the truss. I was thinking of welding d-rings next to the diff. The plate is 3/16".

Yes you would be good to weld on d-rings to the truss. Also you want to be as close to the center line of the axle so you do not put much rotational twist into the spring when you tie the Jeep down. But I would weld on a tab to attach the d-ring to, then only put on the d-ring when you are trailering. The last thing I want is another thing banging around under the jeep while offroad.
Unread 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Would you snatch someone out of a mud hole with a strap tied to your axle?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only thing holding your axle on that rig, the little rusty bolt that goes through the end of the leaf spring and bolts to the spring shackle? Consider that the forces that are applied to your tie downs are a large multiple of snatching a person out of a mudhole if you are unfortunate enough to actually need your rig to stay tied down, like say a quick stop against the rear of a fully loaded semi trailer or whatnot.
You are wrong. If that little bolt holding the axle to the rig was such a problem, then every time you slam on the brakes, the body/frame would come free from the axles and fly off.
Unread 08-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
You are wrong. If that little bolt holding the axle to the rig was such a problem, then every time you slam on the brakes, the body/frame would come free from the axles and fly off.
Oh, there is something else holding the axle on the rig? I wonder what it is?

Actually, despite the sound, locking up the brakes is not much of a stop. My groceries don't even move off the rear seat. Let's see . . . 60 mph and it takes 185 feet to stop. Hmm, wonder what the forces would be it it took, say 12 feet to stop like against the rear end of a fully loaded semi? My guess is the OP will be wearing a CJ7 somewhere around the back of his head.
Unread 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

this..

several commercial systems out there,
images.jpeg

Unread 08-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
isn't the only thing holding your axle on that rig, the little rusty bolt that goes through the end of the leaf spring and bolts to the spring shackle? Consider that the forces that are applied to your tie downs are a large multiple of snatching a person out of a mudhole if you are unfortunate enough to actually need your rig to stay tied down, like say a quick stop against the rear of a fully loaded semi trailer or whatnot.
check out the next tow truck or deck truck that drives by. anything with solid axles get a j-hook over the axle and chained to the deck.
Unread 09-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
this..

several commercial systems out there,
Yeah I'm going with this.
Unread 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Who you run with H L? Parker is up and running now, Splash prep. Bull head first meeting this month. i was thinking of doing Moss(Kingman) the hard way end of the month. have to bring it up at the BH meeting but should be a fairly cool day up there. As well as pre running trails in parker.

Just need the weather to get wee bit cooler.

Everyone ties them down by the axles. I have never seen a trail jeep tied by the tires EVER< Even at the splash were we might see a few hundred in tow.
Unread 09-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Who you run with H L? Parker is up and running now, Splash prep. Bull head first meeting this month. i was thinking of doing Moss(Kingman) the hard way end of the month. have to bring it up at the BH meeting but should be a fairly cool day up there. As well as pre running trails in parker.

Everyone ties them down by the axles. I have never seen a trail jeep tied by the tires EVER< Even at the splash were we might see a few hundred in tow.
On a bet, a couple of Labor Day Weekends ago, we counted the tie downs on trailers at Haspin and it was about 50-50, tied down by tow points on the rig or by the axles. There were about 40 rigs on trailers. There were a couple tied down looped through the wheels. Obviously the tow points are the best tie downs. All of the ATV's were tied down by tow points or across the frame. One can easily bend an axle tube with a chain binder.
Unread 09-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

I'm not running with anyone. Another month and the weather will be perfect until next July,
Unread 12-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On a bet, a couple of Labor Day Weekends ago, we counted the tie downs on trailers at Haspin and it was about 50-50, tied down by tow points on the rig or by the axles. There were about 40 rigs on trailers. There were a couple tied down looped through the wheels. Obviously the tow points are the best tie downs. All of the ATV's were tied down by tow points or across the frame. One can easily bend an axle tube with a chain binder.
Something to consider with a Jeep on a trailer. If you tie it down by the frame you need to make sure you get it to the bump stops. If not when you hit a bump the rig will bounce, putting slack in the straps then shocking them.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.