Axle straps on a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Axle straps on a TJ

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Axle straps on a TJ

I am considering using axles straps to tie down my TJ on a trailer. My main concern is the rear axle, and where can I use the axle strap without crushing the brake line since the line is right on top of the axle tube.

Any input from those that use axle straps?

Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Loop em around the trailing arm brackets
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Loop em around the trailing arm brackets
Are you talking about the lower control arm mounts, is so wouldn't that put a ton of stress on the CA bushings(in my case Johnny Joints) or end up cutting the strap?
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just put the strap wherever you would put a snatch strap if you were snatching it out of the mud.
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Just put the strap wherever you would put a snatch strap if you were snatching it out of the mud.
Well that would be on a d-ring on the bumper, I would never use a snatch strap on an axle.
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
Well that would be on a d-ring on the bumper, I would never use a snatch strap on an axle.
My point exactly. The forces that cause you to tie the Jeep down securely are much the same as those that would be applied to snatch you out of the mud, only more so. If it was not for the possibility that someone might run into the back of your trailer, or a wheel come off or the tow rig hits something, you could just put it gear and pull on the parking brake and it would stay right about where you put it.
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
My point exactly. The forces that cause you to tie the Jeep down securely are much the same as those that would be applied to snatch you out of the mud.
But that doesn't answer my question, I asked about using axle straps.
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
But that doesn't answer my question, I asked about using axle straps.
There is no good place to secure an axle strap because you will certainly damage the suspension if anything interesting happens, and you may find the axles sitting on the trailer and your jeep rolling around in the median if that interesting thing is serious. Most people don't care because 99.999999% of the time, nothing interesting happens.
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

pointless to even ask this here because someone always wants to debate axle vs frame or recovery point, never mind.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you didn't get the point, let me say it for your really simply.

It doesn't matter one tiny bit where you put the straps as long as you are not crushing a brake line. They won't hold the Jeep on the trailer if anything happens no matter where they are and a 2" ratchet strap can only put a few hundred pounds of force on the axle so you can't hurt anything except the brake line.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of a strap you can use a J hook and come from under the axle tube. I have done it that way and it works great and is super fast.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Just hook em to your axle brackets. Not to the trailing arms. Straps should have a protective sleeve anyway to protect them from edges.

Many axles also have a spot where the brake line steps off the axle and you can put the strap under the lines.

If you still can't find a way to do the axle straps just throw the chain or ratchet strap's hook over the axle bracket.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for my cranky responses last night, had a bad day... FYI - I am considering the axle straps as additional tie downs in conjunction with what I currently use of a 4 point tie down that I connect to recovery points on the jeep. Just looking for additional safety for long hauls in an enclosed trailer.
I will have to fool around with the axle straps and see if I can find a good spot on the rear axle that doesn't crush the brake lines, I just may be able to squeeze it underneath.

Thanks all.
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am able to slip my axle straps under the brake lines on the rear axle with no trouble. Just takes a second of fiddling around to get it under there.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sorry for my cranky responses last night, had a bad day... FYI - I am considering the axle straps as additional tie downs in conjunction with what I currently use of a 4 point tie down that I connect to recovery points on the jeep. Just looking for additional safety for long hauls in an enclosed trailer.
I will have to fool around with the axle straps and see if I can find a good spot on the rear axle that doesn't crush the brake lines, I just may be able to squeeze it underneath.

Thanks all.
I'm cranky all the time, but I am sorry to have visited that on you.

Your plan is just fine. With ratchet straps you can probably crush the brake lines if they get squeezed by hitting a bump so I would follow the above advice and see if you can loop them under the lines. If you are using chains on the axles, be careful with any chain binders. A threaded ratched chain binder can and will bend your axle tubes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.