Axle-less suspension? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Axle-less suspension?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Axle-less suspension?

In my search for lift on my lil trailer, I've come across what appears to be the easiest most functional way to gain ground clearance.

Timbren makes axle-less suspension systems, seem to use rubber bushings to absorb all the vibrations and whatnot.

Now, concerns about the longevity of the rubber come to mind, but lets not focus on that at this moment.

Im not planning to do any crazy wheeling with the trailer in tow, but doesnt it seem like the arm/suspension unit itself could easily bend away from the frame, or warp the frame. or even rip loose from the frame? Or am i just being paranoid?

I suppose one could reinforce the frame by running a length of stock or plate or something across the top, between the suspension units to stiffen it, but that would amost defeat the purpose of not having an axle...though it would be wayyyy above the height the axle would be at.

What say you all? Anybody have experience with this stuff? Seems like it would be SUPER easy to install. Either spend 200 bucks on an axle kit with springs and do a bunch of fab work, or spend 400 on this and never have to worry about dragging the axle.

http://www.timbren.com/axle-less1.htm
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Susp.../A20RS545.html

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A couple questions come to mind:

How heavy is your trailer?
What type of frame rail - C-channel? Fully boxed?
What size tire are you planning to run?
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

1170 dry weight.

c channel

something small, but a 15" rim. I dont want to run 31's or anything.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
1170 dry weight.

c channel

something small, but a 15" rim. I dont want to run 31's or anything.
With that combination, I'd be comfortable trying the Timbren axle-less suspension. You're trailer is relatively light and you're not trying to run massive tires that will heavily leverage the suspension.

Assuming the C channel is in good shape, you should be fine as long as you get a real tight fit between the right-angle of the c-channel and the right-angle of the axle mounts, and bolt it nice and tight both directions.
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
With that combination, I'd be comfortable trying the Timbren axle-less suspension. You're trailer is relatively light and you're not trying to run massive tires that will heavily leverage the suspension.

Assuming the C channel is in good shape, you should be fine as long as you get a real tight fit between the right-angle of the c-channel and the right-angle of the axle mounts, and bolt it nice and tight both directions.
I would also install a brace between the 2 suspension deals. likely above them rather than in the built in hole for clearance reasons. My only concern is also having to raise them to get some more clearance, looks like there's only about 2.5" between the center of the hub and the frame rail.

Quote:

Unread 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Any updates on the Timbren axles?

I'm considering the "off road" version myself (ASR1200S01) BUT I haven't found anything that states if the weight rating is per unit or as a set??

I'm guessing the rating is for the set and hoping it's per unit. I have an e-mail into the e-trailer folks.
PhatBasturd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

IO'm going to end up just lifting my torsion axles and going with 24.5" trailer tires on 13" rims due to size restrictions of my camper's frame. I cant fit anything bigger without crazy lift or modifying the frame.

Quote:

Unread 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
IO'm going to end up just lifting my torsion axles and going with 24.5" trailer tires on 13" rims due to size restrictions of my camper's frame. I cant fit anything bigger without crazy lift or modifying the frame.
That's too bad for the rest of us - I'd hoped to learn from your experience with them.
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond

That's too bad for the rest of us - I'd hoped to learn from your experience with them.
Also decided it was silly to put 500 dollar suspension and then tires on a 800 dollar trailer.

Quote:

Unread 09-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also decided it was silly to put 500 dollar suspension and then tires on a 800 dollar trailer.
LOL - Yeah, that could be hard to stomach.
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Anyway...sorry folks!

Quote:

Unread 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus

I came to the same conclusion. I bought the Dexter "flip kit" which converts the existing axle to SOA for < $50. Hopefully that will be enough lift to do what I want.
PhatBasturd is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.