adding lights to enclosed trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > adding lights to enclosed trailer

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

adding lights to enclosed trailer

I was wondering if I could tap into the trailer rear lights to power a small LED strip of lights. This is for an enclosed work trailer and we tend to load early in the morning and unload late at night. It would be switched at the rear doors and would just tap off the running "rear" lights. they wouldn't be on during transport so it shouldn't affect the lighting while traveling. Anyone disagree?

Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hard to get enough working light from LED's but if you can, it will work great.
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It would mainly just illuminate a couple racks towards the front of the trailer. Once I get the project done ill post my findings
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think I would just use a couple of LED dome light mod kits.
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Indy

For a few bucks you can get some stick on LED pod lights, the push on/off type. They run off of AAA batteries, light up the inside of my camper well enough. But other than that the power draw on an LED is really low, shouldn't have any issue running them into the tail-light circuit.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

LED technology really has come a long way recently. I've replaced the running lights on my boat trailer, the headlights in my Jeep, about half the lights in my house, my mountain bike headlight, several of my flashlights, etc... all with LEDs. The Jeep's new LED headlights are on par with the HIDs in my BMW. And you won't find a better bike headlight on the mountain bike trails than an LED, simply because they can run brighter and longer on a smaller battery pack. Same with the flashlights - the batteries in my Mag-Lite with the LED bulb last far longer, and it's approx. 30% brighter than my non-LED Mag-Lite.

LEDs draw far less power and provide comparable (or better) lighting to incandescent bulbs. They still cost more, but the prices have been coming down steadily.

If you do a google search, you can find replacement LED bulbs for just about any 12V RV fixture.

As far as tapping into the trailer's running light circuit - I doubt you'd have a problem, since LEDs draw so much less current.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.