96 F-150 transmission noise help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 96 F-150 transmission noise help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

96 F-150 transmission noise help

I could post this in a ford forum but I am here more often so I figured I would just ask here. My tow rig (96 f-150) has some noise coming from the manual transmission. When you start out in first, there is a light grinding noise coming from the tranny. It also does it in second but not as bad. All other gears are fine. The truck gets into gear without a problem, it's just when you start to apply gas that you get the noise. I am no transmission expert by any means and this noise has always bothered me.

the truck has 137,xxx miles on it so is it probably just wear in the gears or???
Just wanted to get some opinions. Not sure if this is simethingi should be worried about or not. Thanks.

Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
ecaps

Have you checked the fluid in it recently? The reason I ask, is because on the manual transmission there are 3 rubber plugs on the back and over time they shrink, become brittle and the fluid begins to leak out of them. I would recommend changing them either way since it's not extremly difficult. A 5/8" metal freeze plug fits in there perfectly and you never have to worry about it again. My F150 began rattling, thought the pilot or throwout bearing was going out. After checking it was low on fluid and those plugs had shrunk.

Stays crunchy ......even in milk
ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just checked the fluid and it is full right up to the fill plug. Thank you for the suggestion. Any other ideas guys?
Unread 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
TOWMAN35
1989 XJ Cherokee 

syncros or like you said the wear and tear. is it 4wd?
TOWMAN35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No it is not 4wd just 2wd. I wasn't sure if just wear and tear would produce that noise or not.
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check the tow rating on your truck. With that manual transmission, it's not even close to the weight of a jeep and trailer combo or even a jeep. IIRC it is around 3,500 lbs. I'd say if you were doing a lot of towing, the noise you hear is the tranny starting to break down.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The tow rating is arguable. Technically it is only 2,000 lbs with the 5 speed but the automatics are around 7,000 lbs. I read up a lot on it and the general consensus is that Ford knocked down the tow rating on the 5 speeds so that they wouldn't have people bringing the truck back in after smoking the clutch by riding the clutch while pulling a load.

I have done next to no towing with the truck as a matter of fact. Before I owned the truck there wasn't even a trailer hitch installed (or mounting holes in the frame) so I don't think it has ever been used for towing. The tranny was making the noise when I purchased the truck too.
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
bruteboy

sounds like the rear(mainshaft) bearing may be worn out.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Could be. My original transmission died around the 150,000 mile mark so I am probably biased.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.