6 litre phanatics?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 6 litre phanatics??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

6 litre phanatics??

Anyone on here a guru??

lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedwheels
Anyone on here a guru??
I've worked on plenty! What's the problem?
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I tried posting over at DB and I am waiting on a response, so i thought i would try here and hopefully get some more answers. 2006 with 47,000 miles. 4in straight exhaust, RCD egr delete, new oil cooler, replaced stc fitting, stock tuned, coolant filter, edge insight. My delta was kinda erratic, so thats when I did the egr delete/oil cooler. Well Its been like 600 miles and i am still getting a lot of white smoke. The week after I put it back together it threw two codes for cylinder contribution on even numbered cylinders, I chocked that up to having air in the lines. After that week it never threw a code again. Average diffrence between temps now is like 5 degrees. I have been monitoring my levels and I dont see a drop in coolant at all. My edge insight shows 47.5 volts at start up and 48 when running. I took it to the dealer and he did a contribution test on it and didnt see any irregularities. He said one injector could be functioning at 60% but if all the others are at 100% it hides the bad one.. Didnt make sense to me but who knows. I am getting an average of like 12.4 mpg which seems kinda low to me. I would swear its my head gaskets but im not losing coolant. Only other thing I notice is while I am accelerating at around 2500 rpms I notice the needle start to flutter and I hear the exhaust waver (almost stutter). The smoke is white with maybe a blue tint, it kinda hangs around for a few seconds, and doesnt dissapear right away. I have no sense of smell, but my friend thought it kinda smelled like fuel but that is not confirmed. So is the tech right ?? am I just loosing an injector or two slowly ??? Over on diesel bombers a guy thinks it is a bad injector o ring.
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I tried posting over at DB and I am waiting on a response, so i thought i would try here and hopefully get some more answers. 2006 with 47,000 miles. 4in straight exhaust, RCD egr delete, new oil cooler, replaced stc fitting, stock tuned, coolant filter, edge insight. My delta was kinda erratic, so thats when I did the egr delete/oil cooler. Well Its been like 600 miles and i am still getting a lot of white smoke. The week after I put it back together it threw two codes for cylinder contribution on even numbered cylinders, I chocked that up to having air in the lines. After that week it never threw a code again. Average diffrence between temps now is like 5 degrees. I have been monitoring my levels and I dont see a drop in coolant at all. My edge insight shows 47.5 volts at start up and 48 when running. I took it to the dealer and he did a contribution test on it and didnt see any irregularities. He said one injector could be functioning at 60% but if all the others are at 100% it hides the bad one.. Didnt make sense to me but who knows. I am getting an average of like 12.4 mpg which seems kinda low to me. I would swear its my head gaskets but im not losing coolant. Only other thing I notice is while I am accelerating at around 2500 rpms I notice the needle start to flutter and I hear the exhaust waver (almost stutter). The smoke is white with maybe a blue tint, it kinda hangs around for a few seconds, and doesnt dissapear right away. I have no sense of smell, but my friend thought it kinda smelled like fuel but that is not confirmed. So is the tech right ?? am I just loosing an injector or two slowly ??? Over on diesel bombers a guy thinks it is a bad injector o ring.
I can't see that a bad injector could be hidden by 7 other good ones. I do not have the ford ads software but everything I've ever seen has a graph of each individual injector anyways. If it would be an injector the smoke should be black, un burnt fuel. White smoke sounds like coolant being burned. Have you tested the degas bottle pressure? I know when mine blew head gaskets, it would blow the 16lb cap. Saw spikes of 20lbs under wot. What was your delta before the new oil cooler and egr delete? Was there any coolant in the intake manifold when you did the delete? Did you remove your egr valve when you did the delete or is it still plugged in? All your other numbers sound great. A 5 degree delta and 48v ficm is pretty healthy. Oh and a bad injector o ring should be putting fuel Into the oil, might wanna give it a sniff.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the coolant cap to make sure that it would let go at 16 psi, and i havent had any coolant puke out yet. I cant remember what my delta was, I know for sure it wasnt as close as it is now. There wasnt any coolant in the intake manifold. I have the Valve off, with a block off plate over the hole. I am walking down stairs to smell my oil right now.
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I replaced the coolant cap to make sure that it would let go at 16 psi, and i havent had any coolant puke out yet. I cant remember what my delta was, I know for sure it wasnt as close as it is now. There wasnt any coolant in the intake manifold. I have the Valve off, with a block off plate over the hole. I am walking down stairs to smell my oil right now.
Do you have a check engine light from the egr delete? See what strategy you have on the truck from the insight. Your 06 should have a strategy that wants the egr plugged in. I'd put the egr valve back in and plug it on for starters. I know it can make your fan go crazy. You'll still throw a wrench light for insufficient egr flow from the delete but having the valve plugged in and not functioning will make the ecu happy and obviously won't work anymore because you have no feed from the up pipe any more. Still doesn't explain your white smoke but that would be a good start.
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I thought about throwing the valve back in, I just never commited to doing it. It doesnt make sense the River city diesel would sell the cover plate for it even though you are supposed to put the valve back in. Maybe because they expect you to throw a tuner on it which will turn off the valve all together ??? Maybe i dunno ??
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought about throwing the valve back in, I just never commited to doing it. It doesnt make sense the River city diesel would sell the cover plate for it even though you are supposed to put the valve back in. Maybe because they expect you to throw a tuner on it which will turn off the valve all together ??? Maybe i dunno ??
Valve opened or closed, certain strategy's still look for feed back from the egr to control things. Like the clutch fan. I'm running an egr delete in my 6.0 and it also came with the block off plate. I've left the valve in place and plugged in and have never had a problem. I really don't think this is your issue but I'd still do it for good measure. Have you tested the ficm voltage cranking? You would have to do this at ficm itself under the cover on top. Are you having long cranks or does it pretty much fire right away?
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well put the valve back in. Started it up, still threw the three codes for egr, the p1000 for obd test, and threw code for cylinder one contribution. That was the first time it threw a code for an odd number cylinder. I reset the computer and all the codes cleared except the p1000 which will turn off in the next day or two from driving... I have tested the volts on the Ficm cranking using my Insight, not from under the top cover. I have had some long cranks, but not often... If i recall only like 3 or 4. I am getting the heads studded this weekend hopefully, and then ordering injectors.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well put the valve back in. Started it up, still threw the three codes for egr, the p1000 for obd test, and threw code for cylinder one contribution. That was the first time it threw a code for an odd number cylinder. I reset the computer and all the codes cleared except the p1000 which will turn off in the next day or two from driving... I have tested the volts on the Ficm cranking using my Insight, not from under the top cover. I have had some long cranks, but not often... If i recall only like 3 or 4. I am getting the heads studded this weekend hopefully, and then ordering injectors.
Nice. It's great piece of mind to know you're not driving a time bomb on the stock head bolts. Maybe check the injector harness really good for any issues. Mine would always throw a contribution balance code for #4. I put on a new harness when I did the oil cooler 2 years ago and have never seen it again.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm that sounds like a good idea. I ordered the studs already, I am shopping for injectors right now. I am hoping that i have enough cash for the programmer at the end.
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Welp !!!! studs will get here today, i overnighted 170cc injectors, picked up my coolant and oil. Just have to go pick up the gasket kit from the stealership and i should be ready to go.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Welp !!!! studs will get here today, i overnighted 170cc injectors, picked up my coolant and oil. Just have to go pick up the gasket kit from the stealership and i should be ready to go.
It's gonna rip! You doing a turbo with the bigger injectors or keeping it stock?
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
lockedwheels
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am gonna run the stock turbo for now... Once I get done with this move and free up some money I am gonna upgrade my turbo and throw an airdog on it. I am waiting on my SCT, once I get that and pull my strategy im getting innovative on the horn to send me some custom tunes !!!
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am gonna run the stock turbo for now... Once I get done with this move and free up some money I am gonna upgrade my turbo and throw an airdog on it. I am waiting on my SCT, once I get that and pull my strategy im getting innovative on the horn to send me some custom tunes !!!
You can pull your strategy from your edge if that expedites getting your tune at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.