2014 JGC Limited V6 towing campers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 2014 JGC Limited V6 towing campers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
StaticFX

2014 JGC Limited V6 towing campers

Ok I was in another forum and got fed up with naysayers about jeeps! I have talked to a jeep enginee who test jeep towing and said they are great.

Anyone here who has a GC and a camper mind sharing their advice?

What size, weight, etc?

Sway hitch type ...?

The more info the better! Thank you!,

StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The key question is: What's the rated towing capacity of the 2014 JGC Limited V6?

Accoring to http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/grand_cherokee/compare/ it's 6200 lbs.

If you can find a travel trailer under that weight (fully loaded), and you setup a proper WDH & brake controller, you should be in good shape.

Keep in mind that the 6200 lb rating is with 1 person (the driver) and no additional cargo in the Jeep. If you're going to load lots of people and gear, you'll have to look more closely and the RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) & GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), among other things.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Indy

Ive only towed a popup with a gc, never tried a hard sides. Wouldnt want to really.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
StaticFX

Yeah. After many hours of research we have decided not to get any camper. Lol. In reality we don't think we would use it enough to justify thee price. Maybe we will just add a few more goodies to the GC instead. Thanks!
StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
yodajazz

I tow a 4800lb rockwood roo 21ss with a 2012 JGC that has a v8 and tow package. Also use an equalizer hitch. The setup works very well. Very smooth on highway, with a bit of downshifting on grades. Previous 2007 JGC diesel had better towing performance (and mpg) but has too many mechanical issues.
I would recommend maintaining at least a 1000 lb cushion between the rated tow weight and the trailer gvwr.
Good luck!
yodajazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
Yeah. After many hours of research we have decided not to get any camper. Lol. In reality we don't think we would use it enough to justify thee price. Maybe we will just add a few more goodies to the GC instead. Thanks!
When I'm older I could see having a small travel trailer for the wife, dogs and I. The idea of having your own bed, kitchen and bath I think would be nice. We'd use it a lot for short three to four-day weekend trips, anytime of the year. It's on my old man list! But my TJ can't pull one, so it's just my box trailer and tent camping for now...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.