2009 JK Tent Trailer Tow Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 2009 JK Tent Trailer Tow Question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
itsnowjoke
2014 JK Wrangler 

2009 JK Tent Trailer Tow Question

I have the following question, sorry if it's been asked before.

I have a 2009 JK Rubicon. It's tow rated for 2000 lbs, max trailer tongue weight 200 lbs, with a standard factory tow package installed.

I would like to buy a 2013 Rockwood Freedom 1950 tent trailer with a base axle weight of 1492, and a base dry hitch weight of 240. Total dry weight of 1732.

Are the "max tongue weight" and "dry hitch weight' referencing the same thing?
Since the 240 pound dry hitch weight exceeds the 200 pound tongue weight, am I out of luck? Does anyone have experience towing a tent trailer such as this? Would a weight distributing hitch solve my problem, if I have one to begin with?

As far as tent trailers go, it's on the very light side. It would look great behind my rig!

Thanks Much.

Last edited by itsnowjoke; 06-25-2013 at 10:53 AM..
itsnowjoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
itsnowjoke
2014 JK Wrangler 

No responses? Jeeze!

I decided not to get the trailer. The whole deal was just too sketchy. The trailer would have been at my JK's max towing weight, the tongue weight would have been exceeded, and fully loaded the trailer, Jeep, wife and i would have exceeded the gcwr by over 500 pounds. The rig doesn't do that great in crosswinds anyway, I don't think I want to be maxed-out with a trailer.

That being said, I test drove the new '13 Unlimited. It can haul 3500 pounds, and the new engine doesn't leave it underpowered. I think that'll be my new towing rig. Now I've got to decide if I want to part with my JK. I love that thing!
itsnowjoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, a JKU with the Pentastar would be much better to tow a 2,000# trailer with. Be sure to get trailer brakes with whatever you buy, if at all possible.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.