2009 5.3L silverado 980 miles tow - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 2009 5.3L silverado 980 miles tow

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well im making the trip next Fri.! ive got well over 2000 miles towing including one 4 hr each direction tow. this of course will be my biggest but im more confident than this time last year. i will be keeping track of milage for the trip. once out there the truck will sit and i will drive the jeep everywhere

Unread 07-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

next question, since mine is an auto with the 6spd tranny, i have the abilty to tow in M that allows me to shift between all 6 gears and of course tow mode. should i tow in that setting or tow in normal D and allow the truck to find its own shift points
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #18
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
I see no problem with it(I believe people underestimate 1/2 tons), as long as you have a good tranny cooler, fresh engine oil, and your cooling system is in good shape( it's an 09 so I suspect it is), I would have no problem doing it, the 5.3(as with all gassers towing) is gonna be thirsty, especially in the mountains, but it shouldn't have a problem.
Have fun
Really think people do under estimate NEWER 1/2 tons. But thats another topic all on its own.

I firmly believe one of the biggest things is to make sure that the transmission cooler is adequate like said above for such towing,. Got a buddy with a 90Chev towed his Cherokee from WA to AZ and the tranny went out less then 100 miles from his place. It was rebuilt only a few months before that. IMO tranny got to hot.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #19
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
next question, since mine is an auto with the 6spd tranny, i have the abilty to tow in M that allows me to shift between all 6 gears and of course tow mode. should i tow in that setting or tow in normal D and allow the truck to find its own shift points
I personally think M is only good for when you dont want the truck to downshift or shift up if you need the higher RPMS steady for whatever reason (off pavement..etc)

For normal towing on the road I would let the transmission adjust itself.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
I personally think M is only good for when you dont want the truck to downshift or shift up if you need the higher RPMS steady for whatever reason (off pavement..etc)

For normal towing on the road I would let the transmission adjust itself.
well im gonna need those higher RPMS coming down those moutains so when i have to go back up te rpms are there
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
Kris_Kris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well im gonna need those higher RPMS coming down those moutains so when i have to go back up te rpms are there
I think you will want to run M. That way you can controll the down shifting going up hill and engine breaking going down as you like. My truck does not have that and it would sometimes go from 4th straight to 2nd If I just left the cruise on.
Kris_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #22
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

alight i made it to our first stop, Limon Colorado. the drive through Kansas was a steady incline to the 5000ft we are at now. the whole state of kansas was 100 degrees and my tranny temp reached the 210 point once so we turned off the AC and tried to keep my RPMs down to around 2K which was hard since we were headed upwards. today will be the big test which i think im ready for. this is the only reason we stayed all night in Limon otherwise we would have driven straight threw like previous trips. so far my average MPG has been between 9-10mpg. im expecting 5-9 from Denver to the tunnel
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
K9trnr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 Suburban with the 5.3 and tow from Cincinnati down into the Smokies alot, it's never flinched....but it's about 10 mpg with the trailer....you should be ok!

"Things will remain the same until they change"

1995 YJ Wrangler
1989 F350
K9trnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #24
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9trnr View Post
I have a 2000 Suburban with the 5.3 and tow from Cincinnati down into the Smokies alot, it's never flinched....but it's about 10 mpg with the trailer....you should be ok!
no offense but the smokies is nothing compared to where im at. currently im at 9000ft above sea level. everything from my jeep to my buddies 4runner is running differently with the high altitude. on a side note i did make it to my destination in silverthorne CO and still maintained 9mpg. the tranny temp. make it up to 250 even with the air off. but i am proud of my little 1/2 ton. today we are towing north to fort collins so i will be putting it to the test today
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #25
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no offense but the smokies is nothing compared to where im at. currently im at 9000ft above sea level. everything from my jeep to my buddies 4runner is running differently with the high altitude. on a side note i did make it to my destination in silverthorne CO and still maintained 9mpg. the tranny temp. make it up to 250 even with the air off. but i am proud of my little 1/2 ton. today we are towing north to fort collins so i will be putting it to the test today
Hey hey Fort Collins. Were you the one thinking of moving there?

Hope you are enjoying your trip.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #26
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Hey hey Fort Collins. Were you the one thinking of moving there?

Hope you are enjoying your trip.
we stayed at the quality inn and suites on mason. my wife just got a job offer in Greeley and we are looking in fort collins to live.
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #27
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the tranny temp. make it up to 250 even with the air off. but i am proud of my little 1/2 ton. today we are towing north to fort collins so i will be putting it to the test today

glad you made it. you may be proud of the truck but running
the tranny temp that high will make for a short life on an auto.
maybe look into upgrading the cooler.
elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #28
Comanche_

Quote:
I would keep an eye on the trans, thats really hot. Dont want to cook it, and have it go out.

Sounds like another cooler or a bigger one could be useful.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche_ View Post
I would keep an eye on the trans, thats really hot. Dont want to cook it, and have it go out.

Sounds like another cooler or a bigger one could be useful.
it only spiked going up hill and i used every chance to idle and a lower gear going down to cool it down. the problem when we headed up into the mountains is road construction and stupid people waiting to the last minute to switch lanes. so headed intot he mountains it was 100 degrees outside and we all were going 30mph headed into the climbs. i honestly believe if people were doing the speed limit the truck would have been fine
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #30
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
we stayed at the quality inn and suites on mason. my wife just got a job offer in Greeley and we are looking in fort collins to live.
Nice Good luck in your search.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.