2000 Dodge Cummins. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 2000 Dodge Cummins.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I'm still looking for a new tow rig, my schedule and some personal things lately have left me little time to look, when I do find something it seems somebody always gets to it before I can.

I'm looking at a fully loaded 2000 Dodge cummins ext. Cab 4x4 hopefully Sunday. It is completely stock and has 140k on it. It has a auto trans that I think is original.

So what do I need to look for? I know the trans is probably going to need rebuilding soon if it hasn't been and the lift pump is probably going to go soon as well. That's about what I know, will the lift pump give signs or is it a either it works or it doesn't thing?

I've also found a 99 for the same price with a rebuilt trans and 160k on it. Is a rebuilt trans worth 20 k miles?

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
superseado

I have an 01, with 105k on it. I replaced my lift pump at 80k. It didn't just die, i would take off from a light and would not have power because a symptom of the lift pump going is no turbo. But if i shut the truck off and restarted it would start working again. That lasted a couple weeks before i actually had it replaced. (don't try towing like that)

20k on a cummins is nothing. But the trans will run you between $3,800 - $4,500. Mine is on its way out. doesn't slip but doesn't ship very well. 2-4 stall and normally end up pedal shifting it. I have talked to a couple different shops and done a decent amount of research and came up with, do not have yours rebuilt. Have an ATS put in and make sure you replace all the lines at the same time.

The only other issues i have had was the front end. I am on my third set of hub bearings and 2nd set of upper and lower ball joints.

with all that said i would still take my dodge over a ford or chevy anyday
01 Dodge 2500
superseado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had two Dodge cummins and two chevy Diesels over the years presently an 02 with 55k on it--The Dodges will run forever--that mileage it's not broken in yet--Diesel on my friend!!!
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
lwow
1995 YJ Wrangler 

98.5 (99) 24v 2500 4x4 194,000 ... best vehicle I have owned. Check with DTR
Cummins has a club for every 100k you get a grill badge... some are 2m+ now.

Last edited by lwow; 03-03-2012 at 01:32 AM..
lwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Put a firestone 2071 kit on there to help with the towing!
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
low-n-slow

ive got a 2001 ccsb duramax im looking to sell if your interested. Let me know im in savannah ga.
low-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
SmokinCummins

Your main concerns with any 98-02 24 valve is the lift pump. When you first turn on the key, you should be able to hear it run for a second. If you bump the key it should run for 15-20 seconds. If you can hear it, it is running. It may or may not be strong. The only way to tell is with a pressure gauge. If you can not hear the pump, it is likely dead. The truck can still run with a dead pump, but it will damage the fuel injection pump and eventually kill the injection pump.

Also, the majority of 98 and 99 trucks had a "53" casting block which is known as a weak casting. It is also common in 2000 models and there are some rare 01 trucks with 53 blocks. They can crack below the freeze plug line on the passenger side. The "53" is cast into the block at the front of the engine above the oil pan rail.
SmokinCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The stock manual trans in them is bulletproof. The auto on the other hand is... ok.... With that being said my dad's 01 has 170k on it still going strong and it is auto. He is selling it at the moment if ya wanna travel to Utah for a near perfect truck.
boatsandhose is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.