2.5L, 4 cylinder towing 10 foot box pop up, anyone?
I have been doing a bunch of reading (over the past couple of years) and I understand the whole don't tow too much stuff. I get it. I used to tow some pretty heavy things for work and not always a fan. Now that is it my vehicle, and my families safety, I really don't want to risk anything.
Chrysler rates a 4 cylinder jeep to be able to tow, I've read different places 2k lbs or 2.5k lbs, but for argument sake, let's just say 2k lbs. All 8 ft sleeping box pop up trailers EASILY fit under that, even when loaded up with a weeks worth of junk. No problems there. When looking at used trailers, it seems that the 10ft box trailers are just as cheap (some cheaper) and certainly are more plentiful out there. Most of those trailers usually fit under the 1600 lbs mark, so just curious about success rate of folks and their towing.
I live in NH, so no big mountain passes to be towed over, most likely won't be towing on highways much, and with a 4 banger, I know I won't be breaking any land speeds. My jeep is pretty much a stock 2001 2.5L, 5 speed, with 275/75R15 BF All terrains (I think that's the size anyway, the point is, nothing big). I plan on using the trailer for weekend to week long adventures, none of them really being off road. All my camping up until now has been tent camping, so good at getting water and such when there, so won't be dragging that along, and same can be said for waste water and trash. I am fine with putting brakes on the trailer if need be.
With all that in mind, any success stores or major fails when it comes to the slightly bigger sleeping box pop ups? I know there are plenty of lighter alternatives, like A-liners, Livin' lite, and a bunch others, but its hard to find those guys used. I have been searching daily for good deals on used things, but it always seems that there are more 10 footers to be had just as cheap. I don't need the extra space (just me, my wife and my dog), but why not get the extra room if I can and its just as cheap and easier to find, right?
My yj was rated for 2k pounds with the 6cyl and manual tranny, the engine is about 10% of tow rating. Controlling and stopping is the other 90%. No manufacturer cares if you can move 20x the rating if you end up in the ditch on top of a busload of orphans doing it.
I towed an 1800lb boat/trailer combo a few times, flats were ok uphill sucked, downhill sucked more. A smaller trailer would probably be fine although I hear the 4banger has enough trouble just moving itself
Find out the gross weight of the trailer and what the max is your jeep can tow. Different options on vehicles change what they can tow. You will also need to figure in the gear, food, water, fuel, weight of people/dog, etc. all of these factors add to the towing issues. I wouldn't recommend towing with a 4 banger just for the lack of power they have and the fact its a rather light vehicle that can be pushed around by the trailer.
My 89 is a 4 cyl 5 speed. When is was fairly new I towed a 6x8 trailer with camping gear from denver to northern Minnesota to Chicago and back. From Chicago to denver it was loaded up with stuff that I had left at my parents house and it did just fine (65 mph speed limit at the time). When I moved up to Nederland (a 3000 ft climb and 35 miles) I used the same trailer to haul some heavier items and it did just fine even with 120,000 miles on it.
Those who say you cant tow with a 4 cylinder must not have done it.
BTW just looked at my 97 owners manual, 2000 lbs with a 5 spd 1000 lbs with an auto. 25 square foot frontal area on the trailer max.
I towed this Uhaul from Ohio to Texas with my four banger, it's a bit smaller than what you're describing but it did weigh in at 1600lbs loaded... you definitely knew it was back there but the Jeep handled it just fine (setup was 30x9.5 muds and stock 4.10 gearing at the time).
I found a nice 8 foot pop up trailer and went ahead and got it. Towed it for about 2.5 hours and all went well. I could do about 60-65 on highway, but only because it was windy. Since it was a cross wind, I got a little "dog tail wagging" sensation, so backed it off and all went well. Once I was on 2 lane roads, you couldn't even notice it was back there.
In general, it went pretty well, Just have to keep in mind I have an extra 1500lbs back there not wanting to stop when I put on the brakes...