1947 Bantam trailer restore Mainly Pictures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > 1947 Bantam trailer restore Mainly Pictures

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

1947 Bantam trailer restore Bunch of Pictures

Well I always knew we had this trailer in the barn then one day it dawned on me it was perfect for the jeep Its a 1947 Bantam T3C which is a civilian version of the military trailers.

Here is how it looked after I pulled it from the barn.

I welded up a few spots that needed attention and then had it sand blasted, primed and painted black. I also added a 2nd tail light to update it and make it a little safer on the road.

Sprayed in a U-pol Raptor bed liner kit using 3 of the 4 bottles.

Not the best picture to represent the liner but its what I got.

Last edited by Scotch740; 08-22-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Then I ordered a 5'x7' water resistant canvas tarp and made some ribs to support it. The ribs are made of PVC trim I found at Lowes and I just cut and notched the wood blocks on the table saw at home. The blocks just slip into the rail holders on the sides and can be easily removed.

Heres what it looks like behind the jeep without the tarp.

And with the tarp.

Unread 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
tcourdin

Very nice, that looks like a perfect Jeep trailer!
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
badass87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dont you mean WE pulled it from the barn. just kidding, it looks good man. now we gotta take it on the trail.

Blood + Sweat+ Beer+ $$ = Jeep

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/bad87yj/
sub album: 87 yj jeep project
badass87yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ha yeah man, appreciate the help
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow nice trailer! Im actually looking for one like that...it will match my Jeep Truck project when Im done
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

Can I come dig through your barn? If I had that trailer sitting in my barn, it would have been on the road a long time ago. Nice job.

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just picked up the same trailer from a buddy at work, I'm looking at swaping in a different axle since I dont have two matching wheels on it right now and have plenty of extras the same bolt pattern as my XJ. I hope mine looks as good when I'm done.
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
SgtTJC
2005 KJ Liberty 

Great looking trailer! I just bought a Civy BT-3C and was looking to make it military however looking at the interest in civy Bantams I am thinking of a trade for a "like condition" Military tariler to restore. I hate to be labeled a Molester. LOL
SgtTJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Recently I was contacted about this trailer and info to be added to a Bantam site. I though I would share that site for others to check out.

http://bantamt3c.com/

Just to update while I am at it. Trailers doing well. Moved me into school just a few days after I finished it, as well as a few other trips. The paint job was lacking and I have some rust showing through Thats what I get for depending on others to do a quality job. But that is why I chose satin black so I can touch it up. The tarps faded from the sun, but still keeps the water out surprisingly well. Even on the highway during the rain everything in the trailer stays dry. Next tarp is going to be OD Green, with some more hand friendly ropes.

Last edited by Scotch740; 05-03-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Know where to pick up another one in VA? I've been looking for one forever.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch740 View Post
Recently I was contacted about this trailer and info to be added to a Bantam site. I though I would share that site for others to check out.

http://bantamt3c.com/

Just to update while I am at it. Trailers doing well. Moved me into school just a few days after I finished it, as well as a few other trips. The paint job was lacking and I have some rust showing through Thats what I get for depending on others to do a quality job. But that is why I chose satin black so I can touch it up. The tarps faded from the sun, but still keeps the water out surprisingly well. Even on the highway during the rain everything in the trailer stays dry. Next tarp is going to be OD Green, with some more hand friendly ropes.
I just traded a guy and ended up with one of those bantam trailers. My plans are very similar to yours.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Love the look. I just bought a knock off bantam trailer. Any info on the bows you made I never thought of adding a canvas top.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
JWB211
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
Love the look. I just bought a knock off bantam trailer. Any info on the bows you made I never thought of adding a canvas top.
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead.

I am currious to know what kind of "knock off" Bantam trailer you found?
JWB211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB211 View Post
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead.

I am currious to know what kind of "knock off" Bantam trailer you found?

Mine's a converto trailer, but atleast 5 or 6 other mfg's made nearly the same exact trailer.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.